Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

My dog not eating and no energy

I have a male golden retriever, he is 11 years old and I'm extremely worried.
My dog hasn't been eating properly for the past few weeks, he refuses to eat his  normal food so we've been cooking him rice/eggs/meat/liver etc. Then after a while he doesn't eat himself unless we feed him by hands..and now he doesn't eat at all.  Though he does eat some type of snacks. Now, he doesn't seem to have the energy to get up. He would try to get up but his legs seems to be weak or something. I tried helping him up and everything but I don't know what is wrong. Just now, he got up to drink some water but I noticed that he was sort of limping. I'm really worried and I don't know what to do. Please help me figure out what could be the problem and why is he sick. Is he depressed? Bored of food? Thank you so much for your time.
212 Responses
172023 tn?1334675884
This is beyond what anyone online can really help you with.  Your dog needs to go to a vet, and soon.  If money is an issue, I posted some hints a few posts down about how to help pay for vet bills.

But you really can't let this go on a lot longer.  Please post back and let us know what you find out.  I know what its like to worry about your best friend.
You need to take him to the vet.  There are so many possibilities that could be wrong with him.  Did you feed him any of the recalled pet food? Could he gotten into any poisons?  It could be his time, the life expectancy for a golden retriever is 10 to 13 years.

Take him to the vet and Good Luck!
178590 tn?1294180367
My young puppy just went through this and ended up being a stomach like flu he gave her some intestinal med to calm her stomach and after 2 days she's eats like normal
ASAP.

A golden puppy who is weak and not eating well - and been going on for weeks - needs immediate medical attention.
Has he had any teeth cleanings lately? This is close the age where annual cleanings are necessary to remove tarter buildup. Take him to the vet and they can check his jaw teeth along with many other things as there can be many things that can cause loss of appetite. Let us know how he is doing.
Please help me.  My dog isn't eating his food and I do not have any money to take him to a vet.  I saw that you said you would post something regarding this, but I didn't see anything.  He also has mucous in his eyes, at first I thought it was parvo but now he is drinking water and his nose isn't dry at the moment.  Can you please email me at ***@****.
1 Comments
Did you ever hear back with an answer to your question? My golden will be 12 on June 5th. He has the exact same issues as you mentioned in your first post.  I don't have money for a vet and dont know anyone. I just moved to Chicago from San Diego. So I can't even go to his normal vet.  I'm really scared. He wouldn't even eat bacon that I made about an hour ago.  
Any response would be very much appreciated.  
Right now I'm trying to infect child Pedialyte into his mouth hoping to get his some sort of energy.
My name is Todd Zander
214-563-8266
***@****.

Thank you in advance for anything you can share with me.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child