Dogs Community

My dog wheezes

hello,
my dog is a little of a year old and she keeps... wheezing or hacking. IT used to be every once in a while, but now it is very frequent. Whats could be wrong?
Thank you
You're  not saying what breed your dog is.  
This can be allergies or it could be something anatomical.
If it is getting worse and more frequent, I think you should probably consult your Vet.
My dog is a chiuaua. She just started this, we never had this problem with her. Could it be reverse sneezing?
Some reasons for coughing:

First, Heart Disease- With Heart Disease, the weak heart cannot pump as well...Fluid builds into the lungs causing the cough..The cough is usually MOIST like they're choking on congestion...Actually, they are...The cough is worse in the mornings & during periods of running, playing & excitement....Fluid will show in an xray.....

Next- Kennel Cough- This is a virus and antibiotics will do nothing.....Cough syrup is very necessary to help this run it's course.....Lasts a few weeks & the cough is excessive!!!!

Collapsing Trachea- Common in small breeds- This cough is more like choke-gasp, choke/gasp....It sounds like a goose honking....Meaning like when your sucking through a straw & it collapses. Like it kinda sticks then opens, etc. It is actually doing just that.....The trachea collapses then opens back up...This ailment is treated by weight control & Medications for lung disease....Cough meds, bronchial dilaters, Asthma meds., steroids when necessary, etc.

Respiratory Diseases cause coughing....Asthma & Bronchitis are treated with the same meds as Trachea Collapse. This is more of a dry cough with wheezing at times or both....With this, sometimes the Heart shows enlargement,but it is not a Heart Problem! It's from lack of oxygen through the respiratory system.....Steriods are useful as needed for allergy season that can be a trigger.....Dust mites in the house affect this alot (Especially in the winter when the heat is on and the house is closed up tight).......It seems they breath better outside.....Something else: Dust Mites in DRY dog food alone can trigger this.....This disease can be controled for years once you know what to do.....

There's a common cough called A "Reverse Sneeze"...You can google it to know what it sounds like.....I can't describe it....It kinda sounds like all the above, dammit!!!  ;)  Although it sounds awful, it's really harmless.....Lots of dogs do it their whole life...

Then of course, Heartworm Disease will cause a cough....ALso will show an enlarged heart....Will be seen on an xray....Can be ruled out with a blood test...

Also, Allergies can & will trigger a cough.....

All of these can be evaluated by a Vet...Good luck, Karla