Dogs Community

Pancreatitis dog gets better and worse

All,
I need encouragement.  Our 12-yr dog got teeth cleaned a month ago, on antibiotics, she slowed eating Iams dry, then wasn't eating at all, retching, "out of it."  Wouldn't even drink milk, her favorite.  Last Tuesday vet said she has pancreatitis from her bloodwork, took her off Prednisone for allergies (he said was one of causes), put her on Hill's I.D. diet, no human snacks, gave her shot of nausea medicine.  Right away she ate her dinner, and continued to eat better and better, got well and stayed that way several days.  

We got both canned and dry food, fed her just canned for a couple days, and then started adding the dry, then her eating slowed again, she threw up a huge bunch of grass yesterday morning, and last night and this morning she refused to eat.  She keeps wanting to go out and eat more grass, which is how she was before all this.  I'm afraid she's returning to the bad state she was in again.

I'm just feeling so sorry for our girl, and I'm afraid she may be too far gone.  Or perhaps this is just a bump in her road to recovery.  I don't know, maybe someone else here does.  I dread calling the vet, fearful of what he might say, but I will call this afternoon.  Vet DID say sometimes it takes a little while for pancreatitis to straighten out, but since we stopped the Prednisome a week ago, she should clinically also get better.  He is a wonderful vet, I have no doubt in what he's telling us, particularly with bloodwork to back it up.  But I don't get how come she got better and we enjoyed major relief, and now we're facing the same sad emotion all over, and don't want our dog to have to endure going downhill again.  Sigh.

Anybody else got any words of encouragement?  I know, the vet will know what to do.  I just came here looking for support while this goes on again this coming week.  We've had dogs pass away over the years, and this is looking so similar.  So far, she hasn't gone back to "out of it" yet, really hard to watch.  I'd like any replies for me, reassurance, or whatever.  Thanks a lot.
GG
Dont give up hope.She needs you to be strong for her right now.Just like with us humans,we all have our ups and downs.Maybe her little belly is still really sensitive and she just needs canned food for awhile.Fix her some boiled chicken and rice with the broth.I bet that would thrill her.Let your vet know that you are willing to do whatever it takes to make her feel better.Try reading up on some home remedies about this condition.And if you would feel better get a 2cd opinion.This is your furbaby wouldnt your vet do it for his?I will keep you in my prayers...The both of you.I am going to do a little checking on some things that you could possibly do.I will get back with you...God Bless you two,Chan
My 7 year old Min Pin has acute and reoccurring pancreatitis. We had to take her to an emergency vet one weekend and thought we were going to lose her. She's our baby. She is on Hills ID, no flavors and boiled chicken breasts without skin and nothing in the water. She is off of all treats. We do give her some dry dog food which is Purina little bites but we ration her with that also, but like our vet said, it helps with plaque build up since she's on the other 2 soft foods. We have to watch her closely. We never know when she's going to get sick again. She starts breathing really heavy when she starts getting sick. My vet told me to try and keep the belly acids down to take flavored tums and break them into 4 little pieces. Now she thinks these are her treats. I give her 1 a day. because she can have her 2 others treats anymore that she dearly loved. Pancreatitis can be fatal and can affect other organs. We watch her very closely. She used to like to actually steal candy out of the candy dish even with the glass lid on top. she scooted it with her nose. But we put everything up high now. I know how it feels. It breaks my heart to think that one day I could lose her from this. we give her a couple tablespoons of the Hills ID every morning, then in the afternoon she gets some boiled chicken breast. She begs for everything and acts like she's starving, and it breaks my heart, but I'd rather have her. We supplement with her purina little bits throughout the day. Good luck and God bless you and your baby.
Thanks Chan.
The update is, I called the vet, and he decided to put her in the hospital there and only give her IV nutrients until Friday, no food by mouth.  Then we pick her up and see how she does.  One of two things will happen:  She'll get better and stay that way, or in a few days she'll go back downhill, and then husband and I have to talk serious with our vet.  Breaks our hearts, really.  She's 12 years old, so while an operation is a possibility, we're not sure she would make it thru that.  It's been lonely around the house without her here, but our other dog knows something is amiss and has been a great comfort to us.  He's also 12 years old, but in a little better shape than she's been lately.  I'll keep you all posted.
GG
Hello GG....Did they also give her antibiotics for the pancreatitis? How about pain meds.? This is an extremely painful condition....The trick here is to let the pancreas rest for the inflammation to go down. Usually, antibiotics are given incase the cause is infection. What you choose to feed her is the next step. Get them both off of Iams Food; as this is very LOW quality and they need much better nutrition for their senior years. LOW fat is what your sick girl will need. You can add boiled chicken to her I.D. diet to tempt her to eat it. Only serve the canned...After she gets over this bout, you can decide something better to feed her. Ideal would be a diet that you choose the protein source and how much fat is in it....Also, a probiotic & digestive enzyme is helpful for digestive issues....I'm thinking about all of you, including the guy at home that misses his sister....Please, let us know how she is as you get updates....Karla
Hey hope that all is well with you and your furbaby.I have been praying for the both you.There has to be a direct cause for her develpoing this condition.A really good pain med for her to take is Tramadol.Which is also used in humans as well.I would try to stay away from Etegisic at this time right now though.Even though it is a once a day pain med,It can irritate her tummy even worse.Have you discussed with your vet a long term fix for this problem,Cause i know sometimes this condition can go on for awhile.If the source of the problem is not fount quickly.Just please dont give up hope.I am here for you if you need to talk and i believe that your baby is going to be fine.I will talk to you soon God bless you,Chan
Hi Chan & Karla,
In reply to your two posts, yes, we did take her off the Iams when we switched over to the I.D. Hill's wet and dry foods.  And the vet thinks the prednisone is what gave her pancreatitis, given long-term for her allergies.  So, we also took her off that for good.  I did ask initially about pain relief, and so the vet has this in mind for us, I recall he gave tramadol for another dog we had.  As for antibiotics, she just got off a round of that when her teeth were cleaned last month.  So, all those bases are covered.  I'm calling the vet today, which is mid-week for her hospitalization and I.V. nutrition, to see how she's doing, but they have our phone and email if something is amiss.  We can hardly wait to get her back on Friday, will love her up big-time, and hope for the best.  Thanks for the prayers, it's God's Will now.
GG  
Well it sounds like you are heading in the right direction now.The antibiotics that she was taking was it Antirobe?It is a really good one for any dental problems.As far as the Predisone that is what my bulldog has been on for 3 months now for allergies,But it dont help him for very long.I was concerned for him about long usage of that med and now i think that he will no longer be taking his monthly injections!!! They have a med called Atopica for allergies and that is what my vet gave me at our last visit.But i wasnt going to start it until the steroids where out of his system.I dont like mixing to many things together.I will keep praying for you and your baby.God bless the both of you.Please keep us posted!     Chan