Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members
16362296 tn?1447297676

Phenobarbitol when not sure what is wrong?

Hi everyone. I just found this forum this evening after spending a long day with specialty vet (neurology). I have a 1.5 year old Great Pyrenees female. She started exhibiting odd aggressive behaviors where it was like a switch was suddenly thrown with no triggers. After our reg vet had run blood tests (anemic is what it showed everything else perfect) and checked things out she gave a referral to the neurologist. Saw them today. They officially took her off duty for the rest of her life (she was a trauma therapy dog) and after exam and taking history and looking at vet records she put my pup on Phenobarbitol stating she wanted to try and simply rule out seizures and she would check her blood in 2 weeks and I should keep a journal of every incident to track if the drug was doing anything at all. She said the other option was have an MRI (as she said a CT scan won't show anything as she thinks whatever it would be would be subtle and only the mri would show it if even then), but to try the drug 1st and see if seizures were the cause of this. She gave 3 options (basically) as to what is going on - seizures, lesions on her brain, cancer...she also commented on spaniel rage but said she has never heard of it in this breed and as it's rare to begin with she was ruling it out.
I know the vet said some side effects may be increased thirst and hunger. She also said she may be tired. I gave her the 1st dosage 3hrs ago and she is like she is stoned. Her pupils are HUGE and she is totally zoned out. I expected sleepy not zombie.
This is new territory for me and I'm worried about my baby girl does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.