Dogs Community

Raw Diet?

Anyone have any experience with raw diets?  My poor dog seems to be allergic to everything he eats.  Hes on a prescription hypoallergenic diet now and he's doing ok with it but its super expensive and it gives him bad breath.  There has to be something better for him out there but until I find it I was thinking of going raw.  One of my coworkers highly recommended it but all the information I can find on it is either all for it or all against it.
Has your dog been patch tested? If not, it's worth considering as it will tell you exactly what the allergies relate to, which then means these things can be avoided. Without knowing what the dog is allergic to, changing diet to something that won't cause a problem will be long-winded and a bit trial and error. Karla knows more about good diet foods than I do, so she will undoubtedly advise on what "better" foods to feed for hyper-allergic dogs, but really, the patch-test is your best way forward in the long run. Not all vets do this test as it's quite complex and specialised, but a large vet practice should be capable of undertaking it. Tony
I don't feed totally raw myself but have friends that do.  You might want to look up BARF diets.
Karla should be able to give you some good advice.
Thank you, I will look into it! :-)
Welcome....What breed of dog is this & how old? What have you fed in the past up until now? Names please? Including treats? Only dry or do you feed wet? What are his symptoms? Details please......What's the prescription diet?  

I feed mostly raw & will be glad to help you.......Thanks, Karla
I transitioned from prescription food to limitied diet canned food to homemade, but not raw. My dogs also have allergies/sensitivities. I've found that since they've been on the homemade, their vomiting and diahhrea have all but stopped.

Just wanted to mention that there might be other options for you :)
Hi Karla!  
My dog Kobie is a 4 y/o mutt…..pound said he was Pit Bull and Lab but I think he’s Pit Bull and whatever walked by.  I will give you a little history on him which might help you understand his situation a little better.

Kobie had a rough start in life.  He was dropped off at the pound with his siblings, covered in fleas and had ticks imbedded in his skin.  I adopted him literally minutes before he was to be euthanized (all his siblings had been put down at that point).  I got the call that he had Parvo but he was in the early stages of it so I decided to try to save him.  He barely survived the Parvo then developed Kennel Cough which almost killed him again.  Once we cleared that up he was diagnosed with Mange.  He was on Ivermectin for what seemed like an eternity and we got it under control.  I say all this because I am finding out after the fact that dogs that survive Parvo usually have sensitive digestive tracts and dog with mange usually have some sort of skin issue.  My poor boy received a double wammy!

The foods that I can remember feeding him are: Avoderm, Iams, Eukanuba, Blue Buffalo (Life, Wilderness, Basic & Freedom), Science Diet, Natural Life & Natures Variety.  He was also on raw hamburger meat mixed with green beans, hard boiled eggs & Dinovite.  He is currently on Royal Canin Hypo Allergenic Duck (rabbit makes him itch).  All his food has been dry kibble until recently, I now mix canned food with the dry food every other meal.

He’s treats were the usually crappy ones until I started doing research.  He had milk bones, greenies, pup-a-roni, beggin strips, ect.  Now he only gets dehydrated chicken and frozen balls of his wet prescription food.

His symptoms are constant itching, greasy skin, red bumps (looks like flea bites but there not).  His back and sides are always itchy & he’s constantly rolling around on the floor to itch himself.  He gets the red bumps on his belly and under his arms.  The side of his face and the corners of his mouth are always scabby from itching too.  His ears get crusty every once in a while but a bath usually clears that up.  He has in the past itched his feet so badly that he’s literally chewed the pad off of his foot.  Like I said, the poor boy is falling apart.

I bathe him with the gentlest shampoo I can find, the less stuff in it the better.  He is on Trifexis for fleas & heartworm, I know he probably shouldn’t because it’s ingested but all the liquids (Frontline, K9 Advantix & Advantage) burn his skin & turn it red and dry.  I live in Florida so the battle with fleas is a year round thing.

He has been on several antibiotics for his skin and a few different steroids for the itching.  I try to keep him off the steroids until the itching is hopelessly bad for him, then I give in but I still hate to do it.  So far the drugs are the only things that give him any kind of relief.  I have tried Benadryl, Allerga & Zertec (all recommended by the vet) but they seem to help very little.

I am saving the money up for the patch testing that Tony talked about.  We actually have an animal Dermatologist here where I live but it’s pricy to get it done.  I’m ok with is along as it makes his life more comfortable.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to write a book!  Thank you for taking the time to read all this and for getting back with me!