Dogs Community

Seizure Bowel Movement

Hello Everyone -

Background:  I have a 3-4 yr old black lab.  She had her first seizure about 5 weeks ago (gran mal) - lasted 2 minutes, and she bounced back perfectly fine.  We immediately took her to the ER that night, and her vet the following day.   All her tests and blood work came back perfect except she has Valley Fever, found out last week (we live in Arizona).     Per the vets recommendation, we have put her on a twice daily dosage of Fluconazole, and that has been going since we were told about 8 days ago.

Two days ago she had her second seizure.   Same as before it was a gran mal, lasted about 2 minutes, and she urinated uncontrollably during.   She bounced back fine afterwards.  No disorientation following, but was very thirsty and excited (normal for gran mal seizures I'm told).    

My question is in regards to bowel movements the day or two following a seizure.   Both times now she has NOT gone potty for 36-48 hours afterward.. She's eating and drinking as normal... full of energy etc.  Then, on the third day she goes potty much more than normal... AND she has urinating and pooped in the house (which she has NEVER done).  

I'm sure I'm looking too far into these type of symptoms... been 'hyper-aware' ever since the first one (freaky thing to go through the first time....)    just wondering if having unusual bowel movements is normal a day or two following a gran mal seizure....

Thanks everybody :)
Hi. I would say a couple of things here ... first, what is the food you give your dog each day - please include full details, including any treats. Second, seizures are truly petrifying for dogs. They always suffer an element of disorientation, even when you think they don't. Some dogs bounce back quickly and are so reassured to see you they just seem to carry on as normal, but actually, the pre-fit and post-fit event stays in their memory as an anxious and frightening experience. This low-level anxiety can give bowel problems, including constipation or diarrhoea. It should settle back to a normal routine - but if not, then it is useful to alter the diet slightly to accommodate the change and make things easier for them.

It is likely the seizures are genetic-based, considering the age of your dog, which means the seizures are likely to get worse over time and will certainly need treatment for the rest of her life. It could absolutely also be due to Valley fever, or the aftereffect of it which is known as Disseminated Valley fever. This is where the original infection has spread outside the lungs. If the cause was Valley Fever, you would remember your dog suffering severe hacking and coughing. Do you remember this happening? Very rarely, a dog with Valley Fever will not suffer a bout of coughing. There are two other potential possibilities to be aware of ... 1. Brain tumor; and 2. Toxaemia. Both can bring seizures. Has your vet considered these potential causes and investigated them?

Regards, Tony