Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Siberian huskey losing weight

I have a 1 year female siberian huskey.  About one week ago we noticed she was losing weight but still eating normally. We found no worms in her stool. I also noticed sometimes when she goes out to go to the bathroom it sometimes is solid and sometime not? She doesnt act sick only that now you can fill her hip bones.  I also have 2 other dogs that have no symptoms.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
441382 tn?1452810569
Is she spayed?  Sometimes intact females have a difficult time keeping weight on, especially if they are active and run around a lot.  If she isn't spayed, have her spayed and I think you'll see a difference in how she holds her weight.

Ginger also had a good suggestion about having her thyroid checked.

A trip to the vet for a general examination and a quick blood panel should tell him all he needs to know.   Please let us know how things go.

Ghilly
Helpful - 0
675347 tn?1365460645
COMMUNITY LEADER
Thyroid springs to mind when there is weight loss without loss of appetite. Maybe you could get her checked for hyperthyroidism?  But there are other problems which could cause this. I would say see the vet about it, especially as her stool is not always normal.

Sometimes dogs who exercise a lot lose a little weight, because the calorie output exceeds dietary intake. Or if it is very cold weather, that can make a difference to how much energy is used up (ie how many calories) But if this is not happening to your other dogs, then it would be unusual for it to happen only to your Husky.

The best thing, I think, is to get her checked out at the vet.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dogs Community

Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.