Dogs Community

Spay Help

My puppy is a female and we were wanting to get her spayed, but we want to know the best and earliest time to spay her.  She is 1/4 bulldog and 3/4 lab.  She is about 14 weeks/3.5 months old.  Our male dog is over 3 years old, and I saw him trying to mate.  He often does this with all dogs due to instinct.  My puppy has not yet been in heat, but we are worried and I want her spayed soon.  When should we spay her?
As you must know, most Shelters sterilize young puppies before they are adopted.  We adopted a small breed pup from the Shelter, who I am pretty sure, was about 4 months old.  She is fine.  Had she not been spay, I would have had it done before her first heat cycle.  Many don't have a heat cycle before 6 months but they can have it sooner or later then that.
Some studies show there is less of a risk of mammary and uterine cancers in females spay at a young age.  In your case. She could be done now or wait until she is 5 months and hope she dies not come in season sooner.  Have you consulted your Vet?  
If your male dog is not neutered, I would strongly suggest you consider that also.  Will deplete some of the hormones and there would be less risk fir cancer also.