Using Human Fish Oil

Hello all,
I am planning on giving my dog fish oil along with his homemade food. I know that we can use fish oil capsule meant for humans. I have the Blackmores 1000. Does anyone know the dosage for a 24 pound dog who is 11 years old? Do I give the whole capsule per day?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Human grade fish oil supplements are made from exactly the same ingredients (usually!) as the ones for dogs. But check ingredients to make sure there is nothing in there that shouldn't be, and can harm dogs....such as xylitol etc.

Pure fish oil is okay. But keep the capsules or bottle of oil out of the light, preferably in the refrigerator to prevent rancidity/free radicals, etc.

There is some information, and information about dosages here:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/small-animal/sports-medicine-rehabilitation/Pages/fish-oil-dosing-chart.aspx
COMMUNITY LEADER
There is also some other information here:
https://pets.thenest.com/recommended-dosage-omega-3-dogs-5964.html

Apparently it is not just a simple fix though, as regular doses of fish oil can deplete vitamin E in dogs, so that will have to be taken into account.

It also might be wise to discuss this with your vet?
Thanks a bunch, Ginger899. I’ll check out the websites you recommended.

You are reading content posted in the Dogs Community