Why did our dog die suddenly?
I've been reading these discussions and gotten some comfort.  Our 7 yr old golden retriever just died suddenly, and it's driving us crazy, so I have to ask the same question.

Copper is a big (95lb) golden retriever, healthy except for a small tumor removed a year ago.  He got his routine vets checkup June 15, and had a clean bill of health (including palpating the abdomen, where the tumor was).  

4 days ago, we noticed in the morning he had not eaten his dinner.  He showed no other signs of discomfort, no vomiting etc., so we watched, but thought it might just be loss of appetite from the heat (It has been very hot here, and he seemed to be avoiding the outside).  So we let him rest, gave him lots of cold water, which he drank well.  I hosed him off that evening outside and noticed he did not shake the water off, something he usually does enthusiastically.  That evening, he sort of declined to go on a walk with our son, so he tried again in the morning when it was cooler, but the dog did not want to go then either.  I took him for a walk in the afternoon, hoping he was feeling better (this is the 2nd day since he didn't eat dinner), and he went very slowly around the block, but peed and had a bowel movement.  That night he started labored breathing, we took him to the ER, and he died in our arms.

We are all devastated, and were so shocked we buried him the next day and did not think to bring him to the vet for a necropsy.  So it's driving us crazy.  Can anybody put 2 and 2 together on this?  I thought it might be GDV (twisting of the gastric tract), but he was missing one symptom, bloated stomach.  But in retrospect, the failure to shake his fur coat after getting wet might have been significant.  Help us understand if you can.
My condolences to everyone that has lost a 'best friend' recently. These stories are heartbreaking and remind me of my loss, my beautiful loopy lurcher BB, who passed away in November. I think the wisest words come from Ambergerz above, who says about the loss of their dog: 'If love were enough he would have lived forever.'

I think this is true for all on this forum ... it's a great saying and well worth repeating ... our dogs have been so very lucky, they have enjoyed love and affection and the utmost care and attention, and there are so many dogs out there that sadly go without these essential things. In return, we get their unconditional love and companionship and all the things that make dogs such wonderful creatures. No dog ever lives long enough - but my oh my, don't they know how to make the most of the short lives they have. A lesson for us all, I think. Tony
We rescued a hurricane Katrina survivor from the pound five years ago.  She had been returned twice previously and was on "death row."  For awhile, I thought we would go nuts and needed a dog whisperer.  But despite her "crazy" antics, we never gave up on her.  She was the most beautiful golden retriever/lab mix and soooooo smart she was dangerous.  She was always happy, always playful, loyal, fun, so loving and sweet.  We walked her yesterday and played in the yard, all was perfectly normal...not one single indicator of ill health.  We put her in the back yard and found her laying dead there within two hours.  We are in shock and devistated, we all loved her but my 10 year old son loved her deeply.  How he wept last night.  I am so confused and sad, I don't know what to do.
I was very saddened to read the post about your dog. Unfortunately, you may never know what happened to her - or whether she had in fact been ill for some time, but without obvious signs and symptoms. The most likely cause is a heart attack, which would have been quick and could have occurred while she was asleep. My heart goes out to your son and of course to you. But, you did a fantastic thing by rescuing her and she was so very lucky to be a part of your family. Big hugs, Tony
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.
I understand that you are concerned about your son, and are wondering what you can do to help him overcome his loss.
As a parent, I know how difficult it is for you to not only have to deal with the loss of your beloved dog, but even more so,to have to deal with the pain your son is experiencing. My heart aches for you both.

Perhaps you could encourage your son to find a way to honor his dog.
He could do this by writing a story or poem about her.  
Maybe he could volunteer some time to a local shelter, or collect some money or items to donate to the shelter.
Maybe he could walk a friend or neighbors or a shelter dog, that is not able to get out often. He can do these things in memory and in honor of his dog.
You could tell him that whenever he thinks he is ready to get another dog, that his dog would be happy if he could find it in his heart to rescue another dog and take as good care of it, as he did of her.
Tell him that his dog would be proud of him if he rescued another pound dog and gave it a good home with lots of love.Taking care of another pound dog, would be like taking care of one of her family, and that is something that would make her happy. She would also be happy, if she knew that another dog was looking out for you, keeping you happy and protecting the family.
Tell him that just because she is gone, it does not mean that he has to stop loving her.
Tell him it is Ok to cry and miss her, because You do too.
Tell him that all dogs go to heaven, because Heaven wouldn't be Heaven without her, would it.
It might help to get some Helium Balloons, and have your Son and yourself, write a message on the Balloons to send to your dog in Heaven.
You could also check with your local library, to see if they have any books that would help comfort your Son with his loss.

Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
God Bless your Dogs Beautiful Spirit and Soul...she is much loved.
Connie
http://youtu.be/LYl7CiQXx7E
Few memory's of the many walks everyday which we both loved, wish you could be still here, MISS YOU SO MUCH:-)
sadly Vigo died On 24th Feb 2012 with kidney failure, he was just 4 years 7 months, but the short time he lived he had a great life and we miss him so dearly, he was such a lovable Shepherd and never showed anger, he always showed affection, miss or walks everyday but will always remember the many memory's we had together, you are in our hearts always loved one!! http://youtu.be/gK7x87lU-ls NEVER FORE YOU
NEVER FORGOT YOU!!
First sorry to you all about your dogs, I am a owner of 6 Golden retrivers.late last night I went to the bathroom and I noticed my Herculese did not follow me, he was a 6 year old Golden my best friend I found him on the floor with his toung hanhing out all purple, and his body stiff, also found urin and poop next to him. I loved my dog very much RIP Herculese we all love you. I love all my dogs and will do anything for them. My question is why? Only 6 years old no problems at all no signs, regular visits to the vet. He was always the more active one and always the slimest and we always asked the vet they always said same thing he is in perfect condition. So my vet will be cremating my Herculese. After that cost I have no funding to find out why? What signs do I look for and what do I do to find out. He was only 6. Ok now for all of you dog owners, and lovers I wish you the best of luck and happy days with your animals you never know when the last day will be God Bless.

Hi John. Just caught up with your video on YouTube. Wow. That is an emotionally charged film. I am so sorry for your loss. What a fantastic and happy dog Vigo was. His life may have been all too short, but he clearly loved every minute sharing it with you. Run free Vigo. Tony
Hi. This is the second post I have read this morning of beloved dogs dying in much the same way, suddenly and without any warning signs. I am so very sorry for your loss and reading it brought tears to my eyes, as I know only too well how heartbreaking it is. Sadly, there is little chance of anyone saying why your dog died - other than it may have been either a seizure or a heart attack, as it happened so suddenly. This may have been a genetic (physical) ailment or abnormaility that may not have shown in any prior vet examinations and unfortunately, without there being any earlier symptoms, there is absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent the inevitable. Herculese passed away all too soon, but rest assured that he enjoyed a fantastic life, particularly living in a pack with you and your other dogs. Run free Herculese. Tony
Hay John sorry for your loss. After loosing our 5 Year old Golden for no reason at all, I find myself here to look for answers all I know is it hurts, everyday you ask yourself what did I do wrong and you remember everyday he greeted me slept in my bed next to me followed me everywhere and I loved everything about him he was also so soft now the warmer weather is here I feel it most we used to play with the water hose and jump in the pool, anyway all we have is memories I love him always.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8iahu597o
Thanks it means a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8iahu597o .
Hi. I loved the pictures of Hercules you posted onto YouTube. Thanks for sharing them. He sure was a fabulous friend to you and your family. I hope you will feel better in time, though I know it hurts right now. Run free Hercules. Tony
Hi john'
     Sorry I don't have a solution for your loss-My dog "spot" a greyhound-pitbull mixjust died tonight. I was in the basement @6pm and both of my dogs ran outside (enclosed fencing) to bark at the neighbor kids riding their bike/scooter on the sidewalk. about 5 minutes later I walked out back and "spot" was laying still in the grass with my other dog "brutes"(boxer) whinning  above him. He was already "glazed over/eyes"-I tried chest compressions to no avail. Thinking it was something he was born/died with. Sorry-just "venting"

SPOT "Millican"-DOB @3-7-1208  to     6-6-2012
I am so very sorry to read about Spot. You did the best you could. I'm sorry the chest compressions did not help. Spot possibly had a heart condition that showed no symptoms, therefore, went unnoticed.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
God Bless Spot's Beautiful Spirit and Soul...He is much loved.
Connie
I just came home from work today to find my 9 year old black lab dead.  I am so devasted and have been crying for 4 hours straight.  I don't understand.  He was fine this morning.  I keep him and my other dog in the basement while I am at work.  I came home, opened the door and one dog came out but not my lab.  I yelled for him and immediately knew something was wrong when it was quiet down there.  Went down the steps and immediately saw him lying on the floor.  I ran over to him screaming his name and as soon as I saw his face I knew he was dead.  I put my recycling down there and found he got ahold of a box I just put down there and got it out of the bin and walked on it so I have his footprint on it that I will be saving.  I just can't believe it!!  I am in shock.  My poor boy is gone and I didn't even get to say goodbye  :(
My GSD, Passed away today , He was very very agile & faithful Dog , We are in total shock,His breathing became heavier all of sudden & was resting on the Floor & After few hours he bleed from his mouth and passed away,Prior two weeks  he was howling,We thought he was feeling lonely , I did not take him to any vet,now he is no more, Raising a dog is not easy as one thinks,He has to be taken proper care,Loved,most importantly be his best companion rather than ours ! He was 7 years only , Its a lesson to me and lot of others ! Had i taken him to vet , I Would not cried today !
I Am very soory for all of you and understand exactly what you are all going through,
as the love of my life German sheperd Nucho just died suddenly 3 days ago,
he had been suffering for three and a half years from a ear infetion bacteria
called stafiococ,
we had done all and every possible treatment under the sun but for some reason nothing seemed to help,
we played with him in the evening before, and he was as playfull as always
we went to sleep and when we woke up in the morning he dad passed away, MY HEART is actualy broken and it hurts so much i just can't stop carresing his photo on my computor screen and crying,
but I have learned to love through Nucho and understand that,
God has put every being on this earth in order to do good and touch someone and change thier life,
and when they die if that being is missed and gieved over, then they have blessed this earth with love and good and they will be waiting to be reunited with all who loved them in heven (the world to come)
God bless all of you and your pets I miss you and love you Nucho,
From Geoff
I can relate to your grieving, My 3 yr old mix ( bull mastif/amer pitbul ) passed sudenly.  I was away  and had family members watching him.  and when i spoke with my sister she said Hank, was missing me and was not acting himself.  Three days later he collapsed std seizing and died.  I'm devastated  Istill get very emotional and i even can feel his presence.  Oddly as it sounds i get brief glimpses of him in his usual  napping spot.  I don't know  if it would be easier to handle if expected this outcome, I have unanswered questions that will never be  addressed.  It stinks  and i feel for all who have lost a pet in this manner.
I understand how all of you feel. My boxer puppy Brutus passed away on Sunday. He was only 7 months old. My husband and I are devastated, as we've only had him for 5.5 months and he showed no signs that anything was wrong. He simply yelped and stopped moving/breathing while my husband was bathing him. The vet said he most likely had an undetected heart condition, but they always said that he was perfectly healthy every time we took him. Although we didn't get the chance to have him for years like we planned, he was very much a part of our family. We spoiled him dearly and you could not convince us he was not our child, he even had his own room in our house. I can't stop crying and thinking about all the things we used to do with him. I just wonder when I will be okay and when it won't hurt so much.

Brutus -- we will never forget you and will always love you. Thank you for always brightening our days and bringing us so much joy. You are forever missed.
My lab boxer mix died today I don't no why or how after work we found him lying in the shade. He had vomited.  The last few days he's been licking his behind and it seemed to be getting red. He didn't make it to the vet appointment.  Can anyone tell me what could have happened?  He was a happy healthy loved dog about 6 years old
Tito left me last Sunday and things will never be the same. I have no family so he was my little man and my family. Never thought he would die so quickly.He stopped eating but still wanted to walk and drink. Came home from work to find him shaking and breathing very hard. Took him to vet right away and before they could see him he died in my arms.
The vet was very nice but she charged me anyway just for bringing him there to grief stricken to question it. This is something you never get over.
When it is so sudden what did I miss?
Our Westie Katie, died suddenly on November 9th. My son noticed she had stopped taking treats and said she was dying. We dismissed him as there was nothing wrong w her. My husband started noticing she was isolating herself and just sitting and staring in the yard. On Thurs night my husband couldnt find her but saw was what he thought was a white plastic bag in the corner of the yard. He tried not to tell me, but I saw and started screaming, NO. I made him bring her in the house where everyone said goodbye but me. She was under the bed, but I crawled as far as I could under and held her paw for hours, The emergency vet asked some questions but it was the time. I watched her breathing slow down. She picked her head up and looked at me twice. I dont know how but I ended up in the bed and somehow she got in the closet and died. She was still warm in the am and I held her and kept saying she was still alive. I am still in denial. After 12 years, Germany, Missouri and TX this dog grew up with my son. We hae 2 other dogs and they too are lost without her. I keep believing she is just laying in a different room. Cant accept it. She has been cremated and we are picking the ashes up Monday. I dont know what to say. Sorry so long.
Our wonderful family dog Riley died suddenly this last Tuesday.  He was fine on Monday, playing, eating, etc... Monday night he threw up and wasn't quite himself.  Tuesday morning he wouldn't eat or go to the bathroom and when I showed him his leash he didn't even react...not the normal jumping, excited dog I we usually have.  I took him to the vet where we found he had a huge stomach tumor.  I could not see it or feel it.  He was fine until Monday night.  The vet said it is normal for a tumor to not affect a dog until the last couple of days if it hasn't actually invaded any organs.  I brought Riley home and held him.  He couldn't get comfortable so I took him up to bed with me and laid with him.  He relaxed and seemed ok and I fell asleep for a little while next to him.  When I woke up, Riley had died.  My heart is broken, my entire family is devestated.  This was so fast and unexpected.  Riley gave us twelve wonderful years and we will remember him forever.
I lost my 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, Molly, yesterday.  It was very unexpected, she had not been ill and had no symptoms: no loss of appetite, no vomiting, nothing.  She collapsed and died while walking back into the house from her morning potty break.  It was truly that sudden.  My husband tried to clear her airway and do chest compressions, but she was already gone.  We will never know exactly what happened to her.  We decided not to do an autopsy because we didn't feel that it would give us any additional answers, we already had the answers that we really needed - that she went quickly and she didn't suffer.  It has been difficult to accept because it was so unexpected and we didn't have time to say goodbye.  I am struggling with the grief of not saying goodbye to her and of not spending enough time with her in our last months together.  After having my daughter, it seemed like I was always telling Molly to get out of my way.  I had my hands full with our baby and hadn't been making the time for  our pets like I used to.  She just loved being in the same room as us, and I'm just heartbroken that she didn't live long enough to see our daughter grow up.  Every animal deserves to know the love of a child.  She was so good with our daughter, I know they would have been inseparable  I hope she knew how much we loved her and that she was never in the way.  I'm mad at myself that it took losing her for me to recognize how much she meant to me.
Christmas will be especially hard this year.  It is the absence of things that I am noticing the most.  No collar jingling, no thump thump thump of her tail wagging, no toenails on the floor, no galloping in front of me on the way down to the barn to feed the horses.  I know that things will get easier, I just wish I had had a chance to say goodbye.  The only consolation is that she went very quickly and she was not in pain.  It just feels so unfair to be robbed of life at such a young age.  I wish I had made better use of my time with her and that I had done a better job of showing her what an important part of the family she was and that she was never in the way!
It was July 4th 2003 and our family went to a 4th of July celebration. Came home that night and our city decided to put on the loudest fire work show at a local park. We were not informed of this. Our dog Max a Rodesian Ridgeback stayed outside in the backyard. We would have put him indoors if we would have known it was going to be so loud. We came home and our dog was missing. My husband found him up the street. He had jumped the fence which he never did before ever! He continued to jump the fence everyday for the next three days. We figured he was just so spooked by the fireworks that he kept running away. This was so out of the norm for us. We agreed to send him on a vacation for a little while to my in laws. They loved Max and were spoiling him rotten. I figured he was fine and I will see him soon. Nine days go by and I told my husband "it's probably time to bring him home". My husbansd said "oh he likes it at their house he's fine!" I missed him terribly but I agreed he was probably getting more attention up at my in laws house.  I was very busy at the time with my twin 4yr old daughters. I have horrible guilt to this day and much sadness because he died suddenly while at their house. They went to work and came home and Max was dead on the side of the house with his stomache bloated. My lesson from all of this if I ever get a dog again would be to cherish every moment because you never know. I also learned I would never send our dog away on a vacation because he probably thought we abandoned him. I've learned alot about dogs since then. It was many years before my husband could even talk about Max again. My husband got Max for us before we were even married. He was like our first child. I still hurt to this day because he left and never came home again and I never got to see him again. We don't know the cause of death. My in laws felt bad because he was in their care. I feel bad but at first I blamed them. Like what did you do? Sorry this is so long but just wanted to dedicate this to our beautiful Max who was a nine yr old but like a huge puppy that never got  angry.He was hugh  112 pounds and was picked on and bitten by other dogs but never did a thing back to them. Just a real special dog that died suddenly away from home :(. RIP Max you will never be forgotten. We loved you very much :))
We just lost our Great Pyrenees to very similar symptoms, Monday night he threw up his dinner. We thought that maybe he just ate it to fast then on Tuesday he would not eat at all and very tired again we thought ok he is under the weather. Because animas do get sick as well  and we said that if he was not better come Wed we would take him to the vet but it was to late he died early Wed morning.

We are now killing ourselves thinking that we should have taken him to the vet but we have had other dogs who did get sick and it was so sudden because on Sunday he was running around playing with our other dog and eating normal then BAM he died!
Hi. If you still reading this I want to say that almost same happened and to mine GR just yesterday. He was eating, being happy ad show no signs and then Simply collapse on the ground and gone within seconds. He was always healthy and have no problems. But it happened and we think it could be simple heart attack or aneurysm in any part of the body. I can't write anymore because its really hurt.
danaz411 I am sorry. But from what you have described it sounds very much as if he died from Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. This dreadful cancer which is often called "the silent killer" shows no symptoms usually, and then suddenly they have an internal bleed. Sometimes this can be a "slow bleed" and they can recover. But sometimes it can be a massive haemorrage, and it can kill them very quickly.The causes are unknown, but some breeds are prone to it, and it is genetic. Rest assured it was nothing you did wrong. And nothing your in-laws did wrong. And if this was Hemangiosarcoma, as I suspect from what you've said, it was going to happen anyway, wherever he was.
But I am sorry because it was sad you didn't get to spend his final days with him. But you weren't to know, and neither was anyone else. Even vets find it hard to discover Hemangiosarcoma in its early stages.
My condolences.

kshiya, and parkerlee....
I am also very very sorry for the loss of your beloved dogs. It's possible Hemangiosarcoma was the cause again. But parkerlee, it could have been an aneurysm, as he passed so extremely suddenly, within seconds of being OK.
I have a red noise pitbull that just died... I dont know what happened he was running around like normal and my husband decide to give him and our other dog a bath and he was soooo happy the next thing I new is my husband left him in bathroom to dry off more after being toweled off and a lil time later I went to get him and he was laying on bathroom floor died..... my husband said he was breathing heavy as she showe him bit he was fine when he got out... I dont understand what happened where we live the 24 hour vet is 20 mins away we couldnt make it he was gone... please someone explain it to me what happened
our dog died suddenly 3 weeks ago.he had. dermal skin cancer removed 18 months ago.has been healthy and happy.just panting quite a bit but through the recent heatwave soput it down to that.on the saturday night he wouldnt lie down.we raced to emergency vets.200 pounds!!they sent him homewith tummy ache and painkillers/sedation.he died next day.Paid for autopsy.showed huge tumours in spleen,everywhere.miss him dreadfully.we were badly let down.no faith in vets atall.so sorry for your loss.
My shepherd collie mix Moses died Wednesday evening. He was fine in the morning and than the doc prescribed Rimadyl and Tramadol for his back pain. Within 2 hours of giving him these new meds he puked a ton of dark blood. His breathing was labored and than he cried for a bit and puked a ton more blood and passed away.....I am in mourning of losing my best friend and the house is hauntingly quiet now. I don't know if he had a problem internally or the medicine caused something to happen as I've heard Rimadyl is a dog killing medicine and they are still prescribing it for pain....wish I would have known that taking the medicine home....Moses you will be missed.
I had a White English Pit mix that was roughly 1 1/2 years old that just died tonight very suddenly.  I fed her in the morning and everything was fine.  She was up playing and running around and everything.  She went in to the bedroom and laid down with our other dog and my wife.  An hour or so later, I went in to the bedroom and laid next to my wife.  We heard a crash against the wall, it was my dog Molly.  She was up against the wall acting weird and when I tried to get her out she didnt want to move.  I picked her up and laid her on the bed.  After a few mins, she threw up several times.  I brought her in to the living room to be with the family so we could watch her.  She had labored breathing and seemed really weak.  She could hardly open her eyes.  She felt cold to the touch so we put a blanket over her but every time we did, she would get up and walk away from it then lay back down.  Suddenly she went in to convulsions, stopped breathing and died.  No clue what caused it.  I thought perhaps she got bitten by a spider or something but not sure.  Anyone have any ideas?
My 2 1/2 year old Siberian Husky just passed away suddenly. I heard him howling and then found him on my deck, motionless. He had passed and I have no idea why. He was fine all day. Playing and eating. Running around outside all day. I don't understand how this could have happened.
Heart Cancer....my dog Shaggy was healthy..happy had a great appetite and zest for life.  He fell sick one day...I took him to the vet...4 days later my boy was gone.  hemangiosarcoma...it is a common cancer in large dogs not so much in my little Chinese Crested breed...

Terrible cancer.  You don't know they have it untill they are gone...or very sick.  

Miss my boy.  Hate the cancer.
Our beautiful, loving husky died suddenly yesterday afternoon.  He just turned seven on Christmas Day.  When we left to attend a funeral in the early afternoon, he seemed a little tired and lethargic.  We have been so cooped up because of the weather here, we thought that he might have been sad we we leaving and not going for a walk.  We told him we would walk when we got back home.  Never, ever did we expect to find him lifeless on the living room floor.  He was a happy, loving dog with no obvious ills that we knew of.  The only thing we note is that he had two really big pees prior to his passing.  Usually, he just did a little here, little there. What could have happened?  What could we have done?  I miss him so much....I dread the day ahead without him.
My 1.5 year old German Shepherd died yesterday. My parents and my brother were out and when they came back, Tommy was found in a pool of blood. He was healthy and playing happily until morning and they came back in the evening to find his corpse in a pool of his own blood. They buried him in the front yard. I guess I am lucky because I am in a different part of the country and I did not have to go through the pain of watching his corpse. If anybody could give me an explanation as to why this could have happened, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
My almost 8 year old Golden Retriever dies suddenly this morning. She had a cystic splenic mass removed 3 days ago. Within 24 hours of the surgery, so was up, eating and wanting to be playful. She was back to her normal healthy self. This morning, she woke up and was herself, happy. She went outside to poop, twice, then headed back to the house. She took a few steps, laid down, got up and tried to take a few more, but her legs gave out on her. I went out there, she was cold, her gums weren't pink, she was breathing differently, and not wanting to get up. We rolled her onto a blanket and carried her to the car. At the vet they gave her oxygen, a catheter , fluid, and were monitoring her. Her heart rate was down. Her x-rays showed her heart was slightly small, lungs slightly gray, but not terribly. The ultrasound showed no fluid in her abdomen. Over the next hour her heart rate and temperature continued t go down, and she passed right there, less than an hour after being completely happy and normal acting. We are being told it was most likely a blood clot. Has anyone else experienced this? We are grieving for our big girl, and want to know if we could have done more.
So sorry for your loss.
Our male Lab, Zeus, had a lump that we had removed. Within a year, we took him back to the vets because he wasn't doing well and having seizures.  They took X-rays and it should 10 to 12 rumors in his chest area.  I believe that first surgery caused the cancer to spread.  He was only three. That was devastating when we put him down.  Now last week, we just lost his sister suddenly.  It was 4 yrs between their deaths..  So sorry for your loss also.  
Im completely gutted , our beautiful King Charles aged 8 yrs died suddenly yesterday in Animal hospital , found out he had a Tumour on his kidneys , and eventually had kidney failure , he was a beautiful wee dog , and we loved him so much , can't stop crying xox
I am utterly heartbroken , my best friend died Thursday night out of nowhere he was such a happy, healthy and playful little guy. He was only 18 months old and we spoiled and showered him with love since the day we brought him home. He was only 2 months then. A small 3lb Papilion and by the time he passed away he wasn't much bigger. I played ball with him every single day. As soon as he heard my car door shut, I could see his little nose peeking thru the blinds and before I got to the front door, he would be there so excited . I just don't understand what happened to him. He was fine , happy as usual. Then all of a sudden he dropped to the ground screaming with all four of his legs stretched out stiff. We held him thinking maybe he hurt his paw but he immediately went limb. We ran to the animal hospital which was literally 2 mins up the road. But it was too late, he was gone before we got there. So literally 2hrs after we playing outside I had to bury him in the same place he loved to play. Now like most of you here. We have all experienced heartache over a breakup or whatever, but this truly the worst I have ever felt in my life. I am a grown man and I have been crying like a child for days. I just wish I could've saved him. All the ani al hospital could say is that it was possibly a blood clot , or aneurysm that may have ruptured and killed him. Now I loved this little guy and it was hard enough burying him, so I was not about to have him torn apart to get a better answer. God this is so hard.
I share you're pain, as I myself have had the torturous experience of losing my beloved dog , suddenly and unexpectedly. I have never been as heartbroken as I am now. So I understand how you feel and I can only hope that pain does not last as long as we cherish the memories of our list friends . ='(
I found my dog in the woods in back of my house had something that look like cornbread around his mouth . he was barking at something and then it got quite. no bullit spot or anything else.
Sounds exactly like when my dog died. He had eaten D-Con before but threw up and seemed fine until three weeks later, he was weak and tired and kind of walking around aimlessly and not eating. We watched him closely that day, thinking he just didn't feel good. The next day he got worse. It wad a weekend I was on the phone with the on call emergency vet when he died. I feel so guilty.
Please don't feel guilty. Just remember the love and good memories to get through the pain. We just lost our 5 year old Dexter in July. Maltese/Poodle. He was such a good boy. I can tell you all, I suffered a spinal cord injury in 2003. I wasn't near as sad to be paralysed from the chest down as I am now after losing Dexter. My heart will never heal for him. And I never completely want it to. He too died very suddenly. We took him to three different vets as he started showing symptoms of abdominal pain but nothing was found. He died on an early morning in my moms arms while suffering a seizure. I am here with you in this sadness. And it's ok to be sad. They were our precious and loved family members. We will see them again. They will wait for us. Thank you to everyone. I think you have helped us figure out what he died from. Hemangiosarcoma.

I love you, Dexter.
Our dog died 5 days ago and were trying to figure out why? She was 2 1/2 years old. Started out with swelling of head, eyes turned red budging, Took to vet were told had allergies, they put on meds sent us home.2 days later no better took her to emergency hospital. They kept her over night flushed sinuses, gave meds and vitamin B shot, sent her home next day. 2 days later took her back to ER hospital, They kept her 2 days, Sent her home. She then stopped eating began drinking large amounts of water, threw up all night. called vet the next day, was told to cut back on amount of water she was drinking, and told she will eat when hungry. She died that night, lots of blood came out of her bad foul smell, rushed her to ER, she died when we got her in a room. I would like to know if anyone could tell us why? Thank you
So sorry to hear about everyone's beautiful dogs. My boy friend just lost his 3 1/2 year German Shepard named Cash two days ago. I have never seen him cry as he did when he saw Cash lying there, eyes open and blood coming out of the mouth. Cash was perfectly normal, and eating well the day before. My boyfriend has cameras installed in the backyard, and was curious to see how Cash died. What a terrible mistake we made to watch those recordings back. Cash was walking around normally at 2:30am. And then at 2:50 am walked towards the back door as if waiting for someone to open it. Cash then collapsed and was unable to hold his body up. Finally cash got the energy and walked towards the grass. A few minutes later cash walked to the back door waiting for someone to open the door. cash collapsed again, and was unable to move. He then slowly walked towards the grass where he died. At 3:40am cash was lying there, with his leg barely twitching. We feel terribly guilty, cash was trying to get help. I'm heartbroken!!!! What happened to him, he was such a healthy dog. We had gotten his blood work done a few months earlier. I love cash and miss him so much