Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members

allergies

With regards to my previous question...  I have already had blood tests and mange scraping and have them on anibiotics.  Do you think it still could be a fungal infection?  My lab actually has a bad odor to her.  I am not sure if it is from the medication or not.  The antibiotics smell horrible and it is difficult to get them to take them.  

Thank you!
1 Responses
82861 tn?1333453911
Yes, it could be fungal - particularly since you notice odor.  Many times, fungal infections have a kind of sour, yeasty smell, or just makes your one dog smell like about 10 dirty dogs!  Meds and medicated shampoo can clear that up.  I have one dog who gets doggy athlete's foot - fungus.  She has really thick toe pads with lots of hair, so moisture tends to hang around in her feet, and dogs have sweat glands in their feet too.  Once the fungus gets going, it irritates the skin, so she licks contantly.  That brings on a vicious cycle of dampness and continuing the great environment for the fungus.  Since it's only her feet involved, I squirt Dermachlor Flush Plus on them and rub it in between her toes.  After a couple applications, no more trouble for several weeks to months.  It usually is worse in the summer months.

Dermachlor is available from your vet, and contains lidocaine.  It's an antiseptic solution that discourages licking as well.  You might ask your vet if this product would be helpful for your dog.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.