Dogs Community

can anything be done for kidney failure in dogs?

i wrote on here while ago that my dog Jamie was sick ( not eating properly, throwing up, not acting herself etc. ) from tests today i found out that she has severe kidney failure im so upset i dont know what im going to without her shes my best friend the best dog anyone could have. at the vet today she has 2 blood tests and other stuff didnt growlor yelp once she is so good. just a couple of days ago she caught a red belly black snake where my baby sister usually plays. im crying atm im trying not 2 let it show just yet i dont want her 2 b sad because i am in her last days. we have to put her 2 sleep soon maybe wednesday before she goes through any more pain. she has lost 2 kg in a week and a bit and alot of weight before than. the vet said there is nothing we can do for this. i wanted to check to see if anyone knew on here if there was anything at all that we could do to help her? please help me.
I know that Jaybay has given chica meds and special diet and iv for fluids for kidney failure...however, if it is severe, I am not sure if anything can be done.  My dog had kidney failure and heart condition so it was a double edge sword.  She totally stopped eating.  All this came about after a dog attack...her wounds were healing but the stress of the attack made a toll on her little body...She also lost 2 pounds in one week.  I put her to sleep because I had to measure her quality of life....She gave a long battle with her heart disease (over 5 years) and I think she was tired and ready to go.  I miss her terribley and wonder constantly if I did the right thing...although in my heart I know I did....best to you and Jamie.
Hi there hun.  I know from recent bitter experience how awful it is to keep a dog with kidney failure comfortable until the end.  Thankfully, it isn't a painful condition - just flat out miserable with the constant nausea and vomiting.

My dog, Chica, was diagnosed almost 3 months ago and was already in severe failure.  We finally had to help her in the end last Friday.  It was a blessing that her misery was finally over.

Now, as to what you can do to keep your dog comfy for as long as possible, I want you to print out the following link and really read through the 40 pages.  

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

Your dog will need to be on low phosphorus foods, if she'll eat them.  That means you will probably be doing the cooking for her.  Dark meat poultry, fatty hamburger, ground lamb, and canadian bacon are good choices.  Of course, dogs in renal failure are so nauseated, it's hard to get them to eat anything, so if she won't eat the low-phosphorus foods, just get something in her.

To counteract phosphorus, give her one or two Tums antacid tablets a day - or any indigestion tablet that is primarily calcium.  The calcium binds with phosphorus and carries out of the body so it can't do further harm to the kidneys.

Add a good multi vitamin as low in phosphorus as you can find.  Malnutrition is another battle you'll have to fight because the dog can't eat enough of the proper foods.  Starvation is a terrible thing to have to see happen in front of your eyes, and that's what's going to happen.

I had really noticeable results with Cran Assure (concentrated cranberry juice in a gel-cap form) in calming down Chica's entire urinary discomfort.  It also adds some needed vitamin C.

You'll need to add something from the vet to help with the ever-present nausea.  We had to use home injections about the last 3 weeks with Chica, until even that didn't help any longer.

If you aren't able to try to keep up with this kind of heavy-duty nursing, please don't feel badly about it.  All of these things may buy you a few more weeks with your pup - or maybe not.  It is hugely stressful to keep up with the constantly worsening symptoms, and you will only be putting off the inevitable.  You know your dog.  Think about 3 of her favorite things in life that define her life.  As those things go away, then you'll know it's time.

In the end, it will make things easier on you and your dog if you ask your vet for sedatives to give your dog before you make that last trip to his office.  We had to do that with Chica last Friday because she was still completely lucid in spite of her body being more than ready to go.  The last thing she knew was me and my husband hugging her on the couch, and the end was as peaceful as I could hope for anyone - human or animal.

Your dog isn't going to die today, or even tomorrow, and maybe not for several weeks yet.  Take the time to make some really good memories with her.  If it's her time sooner than you would like, try to remember that putting her out of her misery is a blessing and you are doing her a real favor.  It's not easy being a true friend to a pet, is it?

Jen
I am so sorry that you are going through this!
Thankyou everyone for writing back to my post but on the 11th we had to put her to sleep i didnt want it to happen but i didnt want her to go through pain either. she usually doesnt mind going to the vet but that day she wanted to go straight back out and wouldnt go into the vets room. i feel so awful cause she came to me before the vet had to put her to sleep as if to protect her but i didnt..she cuddled into my arm hiding and cuddling me.. she went to sleep so quickly and i saw the colour go from her eyes i just kept telling her i love her and i was sorry. she was such a beautiful dog the best dog and best friend ive ever had. its so strange without her here i usually say goodnight and i love her every night and tuck her in and i keep thinking i see her outside but i know shes not. no dog can ever replace her i feel like im missing a huge part of me. i love her so much rest in peace jamie jame.
Oh honey, you're about to make me cry.  :-(  I went through the exact same thing for the exact same reason just before you did.  Try not to blame yourself.  You really DID protect your friend at the end.  You blessed her by doing her the favor of providing a much easier and peaceful end.  It was her Time, and hard as it is to understand in your heart, sometimes death really is the right thing at the right time.

Of course no other dog can replace Jamie!  When you're past your grieving process, you'll be able to love some other very lucky pup who will surely add more wonderful times and memories to your life.  The human heart is not limited in its capacity to love, which is a wonderful thing.  Wouldn't be awful if we could only love one person or one dog in our lifetimes? Think of moving on eventually with another dog as honoring Jamie's memory rather than destroying it.  Jamie taught you more about life and love in her years with you than you would ever have discovered without her.  

This too shall pass, and good memories will come to overtake the bad memories of the last weeks.  :-)
Hello, we just went to the vet on Sat. because Dolly our great pyr / golden mix was very sick, she couldn't sit or lay down she just wanted to stand up, she was vomiting a little. The vet gave us Rimadyl and an anti-nausea med and we took her home thinking maybe she hurt her back - she is 17 MONTHS old.  She didn't get any better so we brought her back on Monday then the vet finally took blood and x-rays, well once they gave her the sedatives for the x-rays she was never the same.  Her Blood results showed a creatine level of 7.7 which is very high. So they started giving her IV fluids, on Tuesday we brought her to a facility that could do ultra sound and it showed one kidney was 3/4 of the way gone and the other was over 1/2 her tongue started to turn black from the lack of oxygen, but she could still stand up and lay down she was wobbely but she seemed semi-coherent.  The vet recommened putting her to sleep after we discussed dialysis and/or transplant.  We did put her to sleep there where she lay her head on my lap.
My question is could someone tell me if we could have brought her home for a while and kept her comfortable, she has a litter mate and another older dog that live with us, altho we brought them all with us to the vets office I regret not letting her die at home with us and on her couch, I can't shake this feeling that there was something we should have been able to do.  Did the sedatives from the x-rays send her somewhere that she couldn't come back from?  She was extremely shy and had never been alone until that night at the local vets office was all this to much stress for her.  could someone pleas help.
Thank you!
Chrissy