Dogs Community

dislocated shoulder

2 weeks ago, our puppy was run over by a truck.  He suffered several broken ribs, a collapsed lung and a severly broken forearm.  We are not able to take him to a vet.  
In nursing him 24 hours a day, he has pulled through nicely and is wanting to get back to being a puppy.  
My question lies with his forearm.  the bone seems to be heeling well, it's got a nice calcium ball however it's still "crunches" if manipulated.  It sort of hangs from the shoulder when he stands.  I'm wondering if it could be dislocated?  He likes to roll around on his back and the arm flops around.  If the shoulder is dislocated, could this be his way of getting it back in?  

At the shoulder joint it feels different than the other.  There seems to be a space.  Maybe that's just from the break?  

I know it's only been two weeks and he's got some time before he's all better, but I would just like to know what to look for in a dislocated shoulder and if there is anyway to relocate it myself.  As I've said, taking him in is not an option.  

thank you.
I want to be kind, warm, and fuzzy about this.  I'll do my level best, but I don't think I have it in me.

The shoulder may be dislocated, or there could be a frank fracture.  He could also have some nerve damage that is decreasing his ability to control and use the leg.  
Without the input of a veterinarian and some films, you will not know, nor will it ever heal properly.

The crunchy bone...again, without film to show if the bone fragments are in proper alignment, you will not know what's going on in there.  It will probably heal, but if the ends are not in alignment, it will not heal right, and the animal may suffer furthur down the road.

I'm not even going to guess how you diagnosed the collapsed lung, but you may have been correct about that.

Now my less than kind words.

When we adopt a puppy or a dog, and bring it into our lives, we are responsible for its proper care and feeding for as long as the dog is in our care.  Do you know that if your animal is severely ill or injured, and you do not provide proper veterinary care, that you are guilty of animal cruelty and/or neglect?  And you could be prosecuted, fined, and lose the animal?  
I certainly understand about limited finances.  So do most veterinarians.  Most, unless you have burned them before, will bend over backwards to work with you.  There is  a web site called www dot care credit do com that is specifically designed to help people finance overwhelming veterinary bills.  Often you can qualify even with less than perfect credit.  

The one thing that is NOT an option, is to do what you are doing....NOTHING but providing home nursing care (though I give you props for that).   It is the LAW that you have to provide veterinary care for this severely injured puppy.  If you can't do this, how on earth will you ever afford all the expenses that go along with dog ownership?  ONE illness can cost hundreds of dollars.  
If you can't afford to raise a dog, then don't adopt one.  Too late for you and your unfortunate puppy, though.

Left untreated, the puppy's limb will likely wither and atrophy.  He will be in some pain.  Severe arthritis can set in some of the damaged joints.  

If this is the life you feel is best for your puppy, then go on doing what you are doing.  He'll be the one paying the price, not you.  
WOW!  Well first of all, the puppy is not going to be able to fix his shoulder by rolling around.  If you cannot get this poor little puppy help yourself; you should try to find someone that can, and give him to them so that they can.  

The above post is 100% on.   I did not know about the web site listed above by peekawho which would be great.  That way you could get help for him and keep him too; but, only if you can afford his food that is.  It looks like a rottie. They get large.  

I sold my only car for one of my fur baby's to pay for an operation on a dog I found and fell in love with.  You do what you have to if you really love them.   If you don't treat them as you would yourself "or" your own children then you should find someone that can do so.   Just as people get pregnant and can't offord the child and have to put them up for adoption.  It hurts; but, is best for their babys sometimes and so they do so.

You know what the right thing is to do.  This puppy HAS to be seen by a vet.  For all you know it could turn gangrenous.  PLEASE GET HIM HELP!

I hate to have to say it, but you are torturing your puppy.  All the injuries you listed are extremely painful, and the limited knowledge you have regarding physical therapy is only making his pain worse, and likely his injury as well.

Peekawho is absolutely correct.  This puppy needs professional medical care - yesterday.  I have been in your situation with extremely limited funds and a very sick dog.  I have sold assets and gone out on a very weak limb credit-wise to take care of it.  The last emergency a year ago was a 4 year old dog who impaled herself through the rectum on a plant stake.  It took 2 surgeries and $7,000 to save her, but she's doing great a year later.  Her injuries, although different from your pup's, were every bit as severe and life-threatening.  There was never a moment's doubt in my mind that she needed major medical care.  There isn't one doubt in my mind that your pup needs the same treatment.  It's nothing short of a miracle that he's survived this long.

Let's get the facts straight.  (1) Your pup is suffering  (2) He MUST have medical care.  End of story.  That leaves you with three choices.  (1) Continue as your are and allow him to suffer, likely get an infection from that compound leg fracture and die a slow painful death.  (2) Start calling vets in your area now and see if a payment plan can be arranged and get him the treatment he needs.  (3) Surrender him to the Humane Society, SPCA or other group or individual who can provide the care or put him down humanely, whichever is warranted.  

Whether this pup lives or dies, please think long and hard before getting another one.  If you can't afford medical care for a dog, you can't have a dog.  Period.  If you can't keep him safely restrained and out of harm's way, you can't have a dog.  I can't think of anything more to say, so I'm going to hug the snot out my curs right now.
Could you please take the advice of everyone here who has posted and please please take the puppy to the vet.  If you won't take the puppy to the vet due to cost then at least check out the web site for care credit.  Care Credit is a interest free credit care only for medical or veterinary bills.   Many humane societies offer low cost pet care.  Please call some in your area and get estimates.
OH MY GOD !    You are unable to take your puppy to the vet?  People like you should not be allowed to have pets !!!
thank you all so much for your input. I thought this was a different kind of forum.  I thought that I might find the answers I need from a VET, not just random people who love their pets as much as I do.  

The injuries he sustained, i.e. broken ribs, collapsed lung and broken humerus bone and pain management, would have all been treated by a professional the same way I treated him.  So he would have suffered the same fate if I would have taken him in on those issues.   I am certain that if he were put in a lonely cage at a strange place for kennel care, he would not have felt the love and need for him from the rest of his pack and would not have pulled through.  

I merely came on here to see if anyone had any experience in identifying and relocating a shoulder.  I guess no one has?  

Please don't jump to conclusions about a small blurp you read in a forum asking for advice on an issue.  You don't know the full spectrum of the situation and I'm not  going to go into it, for I don't need to defend myself on that.  

I assure you that my pup is healing well, and is not suffering any more than anyone else would while recovering from being hit by a moving vehicle.  He is healing well, actually, better than expected.  I must be doing something right.