Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members

dog losing weight and going blind??

what would cause a dog to consistently lose weight even though it is eating constantly, the dog has started to lose vision in both eyes (cloudy appearance to corneas) and has had problems with incontinence. The dog was recently on prednisone but was taken off due to incontinence issue. Please help.
4 Responses
172023 tn?1334672284
One side effect of long term predisone use is cataracts.  Was your dog on prednisone for a long time?  How old is the dog?

What has the vet said about the weight loss and cloudy appearance of the corneas?
82861 tn?1333453911
I'm not certain the two conditions are connected.  When unexplained weight loss occurs in spite of a healthy appetite, my first thought is cancer.  The prednisone may have covered up some of the symptoms.  If you haven't yet brought the weight loss issue up with your vet, it's time to do so.
675347 tn?1365460645
COMMUNITY LEADER
Another possible cause of weight loss when the appetite is still very good is hyperthyroidism. You would need to ask the vet to run some tests for this. But I don't think there would be any connection with incontinence or cataracts.
My dog is a 5 year old Katahula/Black Mouth ....he eats fine, has no problem with going to the bathroom, but is loosing weight and seems to be having problems with his vision.....
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.