Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

dog will not eat

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she will not eat. The vet says she has pancreatic insufficiency and inflammatory bowel disease and she also has a abscess on her incision where she was spayed, it has done been drained several times and then again yesterday, the vet said if it doesnt get better he going to do surgery.  He isnt sure if she may have something else going on that is causing her not to eat, he said if she doesnt get better he going to do explatory surgery.  Sometimes she will act like she wants some food that I am eating but then she throws it up, but now she acts like she wants it and she gags and spits it out.  The vet says not to give her no human food.  He said maybe if I would put her food in her bowl and give her 30 minutes to eat it and then take it up that she will get hungary, I tried that and it hasnt helped.  I am so worried about her because she will not eat and she lays down all day.  Any suggestions on what I can do to get her to eat.
1 Responses
462827 tn?1333172552
With all these diagnoses, I assume that blood work was done on your dog? Did a blood panel shown pancreatitis? Is she running a fever, possible from an infection from her spay? It sounds like she can't swallow her food or she has a blockage....Has that been ruled out? Have you tried to cook her a bland diet & see if she'll eat it AND keep it down? You need to try that before she gets worse....Boil some chicken (No bones), cook some white rice or sweet potatoes with it for about 20 minutes.....Let cool & chop up into shredded pieces.....See if she will eat it....Add the chicken broth to the meal....She needs moisture!

If you have any more information, it would be helpful.....How long has this been going on? When was her spay? Is she drinking water? I think you need a second opinion from a Vet that will get to the bottom of this and quick! Let us know....Karla

P.S. Food IS Food! There is No people verses dog food...It should be all the same!
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child