Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

dogs

My dog is a bull mastiff but she is completely off food for the last five days but drinking a lot of water.  Took her to the Vet and ran some blood tests, kidnes, liver, diabetes are fine but there seems to be a problem with her blood count, vet says it could be because of a slight infection in her cheek but her stomach is also bloated and it could be Pyo - infection of the uterus.  Please Help, I do not have any insurance for her and the bills are frigtening me.
1 Responses
675347 tn?1365464245
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, this does rather sound like Pyometra symptoms. My dog had Pyometra last year.
What's happening is the womb is full of pus. It is swollen to at least twice its normal size, and toxins from that infected womb are slowly spreading into her bloodstream.
The only way I can recommend you deal with this is to get the womb removed -and as soon as you can. Now that is just MY opinion. Some people (especially if they want to breed their dog in the future) opt for treatment with antibiotics, which can help, but usualy doesn't solve the problem once-and-for-all. But Pyometras which are treated medically, rather than surgically, are very much inclined to recur, and can recur very quickly...most likely at the next "season".

It would be probably more expensive, and would certainly be harder for her to cope with, to have this serious problem returning time and again, with continued vet visits, and antibiotic treatments. Then one day, her kidneys wouldn't be able to stand the strain of filtering bad blood regularly, and may pack up entirely
I seriously think the best plan -for her health, and probably financially too -is to have her spayed. And the sooner the better.
Pyometra is deadly serious.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child