Dogs Community

hemangiosarcoma of the spleen

We euthanized our 7 year old GSD this week who collapsed a few days prior.  He was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of the spleen and had it removed in emergency surgery in August 2007.  I took him through chemo and he survived 6 months following the surgery.  On his last day, he was rebounding following a traumatic night a few days earlier vomiting and collapsing.  He couldn't get up the next day but was more responsive the following.  Although fatigued, he could walk the day after that and even began playing with his toys.  So he was recovering.  But he still had a nasty cough, no appetite outside a handful of food each day, and fatigue/anemia.  

I read the natural end was not painful-a collapse, shock and death.  But what I saw Saturday night was terrifying for us both.  He was so sick and scared so I made the decision to "help". I now I have huge regrets and need some answers or any information to deal with my devastation.  

How long does a dog having hemangiosarcoma typically have from the initial collapse to the final?  I understand the inevitable outcome of the diagnosis but loved him more than anything.  I'm tortured by my decision.  I did it for him but can't seem to find an answer.  Is there pain and suffering in a natural death in this case? What is typical?  Are there other regrets either way?  I know these are questions that should have been asked earlier but the entire experience has missed my expectations every step of the way.

I thought I had more time.  Thank you for any help you can offer.  
Even though we battle with decisions, I feel that final answer that we make is done very quickly..almost like a blur.  That is the way that I feel about putting my dog down in December.  On this site I have read regrets about putting dogs down (which I feel it is part of the grieving process)....as well as those whose dogs died naturally while suffering from an illness, regret that they didn't put their dog down sooner, because they didn't want any unnecessary suffering.  Either way it goes...we all wonder but we all did the RIGHT THING.  Even though no one wants to make that decision, we do what we need to do in our pet's best interest.  Please do not go down that road of guilt.  You know what was best for your dog.  You know the quality of life.  Just the fact that you are questioning yourself shows how much you love your dog and would only do what needed to be done.  I wish you peace and hope one day soon you will be able to smile at the happy memories that you have shared.
I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle dealing with this decision. 18 years ago I had to put my beautiful dog, Bruno, to sleep. It was the hardest decision I ever made. After I made the decision I doubted my decision greatly, but now I realize I actually waited too long. My father was ill for 10 years and I wished I could make the decision to put him out of his misery, but when the time came for me to actually decide his fate I almost couldn't do it. So many people say it is so much better for our furry friends because we can put them out of their misery, but that decision is heartbreaking. You just pray God will make the choice for you. I understand your feelings and they are completely normal. I really think for me it was part of the grieving process. Be around people who understand how much your dog was a part of you. To me by Sam is my life and just as important as my husband and other family members.

I am now beginning the process with my dog Sam. I noticed the growth in his mouth 6 weeks ago today. It was found in his mouth and I prayed it was skin hemangiosarcoma, but it wasn't. They don't feel they removed all the mass. We were suppose to start chemo yesterday, but due to his lack of appetite, vomiting and occasional diarrhea he isn't strong enough. I am taking it day by day. It's hard, but I am SO thrilled that I adopted this stray beautiful puppy and saved his life. I really try to concentrate when times are so tough how much happiness he is giving me and how great of a life he had. I also let the tears flow cause it is also a natural way of healing.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Jane
Please try to let the guilt and regret go.  Everything you wrote tells me you made the perfect decision.  There's just no telling how much time any person or animal has where cancer is concerned.  All it takes is for it to invade one "wrong" place, and that's the end.  There is no expiration date with cancer.  

Try to look at your decision this way:  you did him a huge favor.  I recently had to euthanize our old dog who was in kidney failure and know how terrible that decision can be.  You did RIGHT.  I don't care if you have to tell yourself that a hundred or a thousand times a day, but do it until you finally believe it because it's the truth.  He's gone to his final reward and will never have to be sick and in pain ever again.  The one drawback to loving animals is that they just don't live long enough to suit us.  It hurts so badly to lose them, but we're special folks because we pick ourselves up and do it all over again with yet another lucky pup, or kitten, or bird - it doesn't matter as long as we don't lose our capacity to love.
Jaybay always has the right words...I read her posts again and again because they help me to get peace.  Thank you, Jaybay.
I had to watch one of our beloved Dobes die a long, slow, painful "natural" death when my husband couldn't bear the thought of euthanasia.  That poor dogs final 2 weeks will be forever etched in my mind with shame that I didn't intervene over my husbands wishes.

He literally drowned slowly and painfully in his own fluids in front of our eyes.  I still cry to this day, remembering his suffering and pain.

You made the absolute right decision.  Our dogs depend on us to care for them, and that includes making the ultimate decision for a peaceful death, when death is inevietable and they are suffering.  

You are in my prayers.  
Aw Suzi, you're about to make me cry.  I'm glad that anything I've written helps you out, but you need to give yourself credit for moving forward.   When it comes right down to brass tacks, moving on through our grief is up to us as individuals.  I think you're coming along just fine.  :-)

peekawho, I know exactly what you mean about these things being a learning experience.  The first time is always the worst.  We all second-guess our decisions.  My husband couldn't deal with both euthanasia incidents in our married lives, so it was up to me to make sure our dogs didn't suffer.  Not a fun place to be in, but somebody has to step up to the plate.  Hubby is beginning to "get it" and I don't relish having to make future decisions with our current dogs.  It's just part of life unfortunately.
We had to let our baby Nina (GSD) go on Monday 3rd March, 3rd and best GSD i've raised - beautiful character!!

Reading your words here have helped us hugely at this early stage of our grieving - she was 11 1/2 and had tumor on spleen which was found through scan after she collapsed on Sunday night.

We had both always agreed that we would never make her suffer for us and that if we were put in this terrible position we would do the right thing as her guardians - we believe we did and in some moments of doubt read your comments for others and regained some strength.

Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work for others

Mark n Vilna (x Nina x)
xx
i had to have my cocker spaniel put to sleep on friday 3rd october, two days ago.
i got up in the morning and he was lying on his side and could not get up and he was breathing very fast.
when i got him to the vets they put him on a drip gave him painkillers and they xray him.He had a white mass on his spleen and liver.
the vet rang me and said leave him there for the night and he will ultrasound him but i got a phone call 30min later and the vet said it looks bad and the only thing he can do next is cut him open.I refused to have this done, my darling Joey was 13 years old and i was with him when he was put to sleep and i will never forget that even though he could not move when i was talking to him he was wagging his tail.
even though i am in tears writing this im hoping in the logn run it will help.
Thankyou to everyone for your stories as i am feeling very guilty, could i have done more but i couldnt stand the thought of him being cut open.
Rayner
Rayner...Please don't feel quilty...You did the right thing. I would have said NO to the cutting him open at 13, also.  I'm sure sorry about your loss, though. I hope time will heal your pain...Again, don't beat yourself up and don't cry. (I know it's hard!)  Joey knows you were trying to help him and he loves you for it!!!        Karla  
We euthanized our 11 yr. old Pom. on 10/09/08 and I am devestated.  He has been treated for Addisons Disease and heart problems for 6-7 yrs. and I always thought my wonderful vet could pull out one more miracle for Cody.  Wed. evening he collapsed and we took him to the Emerg. Animal Hosp.  He was severely anemic, had fluid in his abdominal cavity and having very rapid heart rate.  The ultrasound the next morning revealed a tumor on his spleen bleeding into his abdomen.  It was most likely a Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen - he could not have survived surgery and the cancer would have been fatal.  I would never let Cody suffer for one minute knowing that it was never going to get better.  I held him and told him  how much I loved him and as Cody died, a part of me died.  I keep thinking, if I could have just had one more hour or one more day but it all happened so quickly.  I am heartbroken and can do nothing but cry.  Does anyone have any suggestions to ease the pain and memory of every second of the euthenasia.  I can't get it out of my mind.  Cody's (AKA "Code-Man") mom
My dear sweet Hilde girl died today Oct 13, 2008 of hemangiosarcoma.  I loved her so much.  I thought she had a blockage or something that could be fixed.  Hilde was very thirsty, lethargic, and had to urinate often.  She had a small bit of diarrhea and not eating much except for a few treats. I felt some large lumps in her belly.  The vet opened her up and said her spleen & liver were in bad shape and that she wasn't going to wake her up.   Hilde was full of cancer and only 5 years old.  My sweet pit/lab mix is gone.  I am just devastated.  I love you Hilde.  You went away too soon.  I will love you forever.  Remember Mama loves you!
Your sweet sister Molly is now in heaven with you Hilde.  Molly was put to sleep Aug. 25, 2015.  Poor baby couldn't sleep as she breathed so heavily.  Molly didn't even want her treats much anymore.  One morning she cried because her legs couldn't lift her up.  Molly my sweet angel.  You had hemangiosarcoma like your sister.  I miss you both everyday my sweet angels.  You were the best dogs ever.  I adopted these two wonderful lab/pit mixes from animal care & control of Jacksonville Florida.  They were the best, sweetest dogs ever.  Don't let the pit part keep you from adopting one of these wonderful dogs.  I love you Molly & Hilde forever.
I just had a similar experience as CMCoct and got to this blog needing the same answers - only too late.  My baby Bear had a tumor on her spleen, which surgery removed in July.  Biopsies revealed it was hemangiosarcoma, but other biopsies of her liver and lymph nodes suggested it had not spread.  We went through chemo which she tolerated great.  She was actually like a puppy again.  Then right before Thanksgiving she had the same symptoms that led to the spleen tumor diagnosis, and sure enough, she had a tumor in her liver.  IT was much sooner that I had hoped but not entirely unanticpated.  I thought, ok we'll just play it day be day we could have another month or 2 together.  Then only a week later she had what for us had been her worst 'episode' that I at least had seen to-date.  She collapsed and couldn't walk and it scared her and me so badly I decided I should let her go that next weekend.  
She was fine the next day and had a great week - playing running and eating well.  I told myself it was best to let her go when she was happy.  When I got to the vet yesterday, I was having second thoughts given her great week.  I needed the vet to say you are doing the right thing,  But she said, well, if she is still eating well and she looks good now you could wait and I could give you a shot to give her during the episodes, but they are not necessarily painful she just is weak.  But it had taken all the strength I had to get her there and I did not know if I was capable of doing that again.  I kept telling myself it was best to let her go when she was still happy. So I went ahead and she is gone.
Now I am devasted that I did the wrong thing.  It sounds like now that she wasn't really even in pain during those episodes - I had just assumed it but I was wrong.  Like CMCoct, I have no idea why I didn't ask my vet that question beforehand.  I could have had her who knows how much longer, and she would have been happy and it would not have been me just being selfish.  Now I am guilty and heartbroken. I miss her so much and I don't have the comfort of knowing I did the right thing.
COMMUNITY LEADER
You know what happens when we make that decision to have our dog euthanized? We are operating from intuition. We know what to do for the best, how to end things right.
I know what it feels like to decide to have this done, especially when the dog is more like a friend or family member. It has happened to me, and I know it will probably happen again. But the actual decision comes quickly....because we suddenly know what to do.
This was a serious nasty illness, with a poor prognosis. Better he's out of it now. I do believe they communicate intuitively with us, on a deep level at this time, showing us what they need. What they want us to do for them.
I am sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.
You can never tell. Your decission was right. I have been through a simular situation. Have a 5yr old G.Ret`vr, had hemangiosarcoma of the spleen.Had the surgery removed to remove the Spleen (12 .05)while under anesthesea(sp)they biopsed the;Lungs, Liver, Lymph nodes,Stomach, Intestines,and did a bone marrow biopsy as well. The Spleen was aparently covered w/ nodes and (cancer) tumors.
The surgeons stated the other organs "looked ok" but the truth was in the biopsys.The Liver and a L. node came back w/ Cancerous cells.We had a treatment of chemo as soon as the recovery from surgery was complete.
He seem to be doing ok untill aprox around the 20th he had a stiff neck and was starting to not want to do much.To make the point the Liver cancer was VERY aggressive and he had a "collapsing" episode (12.24) after vomiting. This was the begining of the end. within 3/4 of a hour he was pretty much comatose. I sat w/ him and saw the gums turn from light pink, to white than the "yellow" came quickly. At that point about 1hr 15mns into this he had another vomiting episode along w/ a bowl movement while still being down. at this point I called the Vets to arrange the euthanasia and even he was somewhat "out" of it he had alot of discomfort. I first tried to have a vet come to the house but no success. It took a while to arrange for a ride and we had to carry the dog on a sheet of plywood. When placed in the truck his whole body "spased" and I thought he died, but was still alive. The ride to the vet was horrible to see this dog who was a little time ago healthy was now in alot of distress. As soon as we arrived at the clinic he basicly passed. I was holding him and felt sick to see what I was seeing. The vet came right out and stated the heart was still "very slow and faint" beating. While she tried to find a good vein the heart stopped. I took the rout you didn`t and both our outcomes are the same. Aparently this type of cancer in very aggressive and spreads fast. I did get a small amount of time and other than the 24th and a couple incidents they were what I can say were Good quality of life days. I thought we could beat the odds and we truly did everything possible. I even had a second opinion from a vet in a differant area state it would be worth the shot due to the age. I can`t say for sure your dog would have the same outcome but the odds are NOT in our favor. The day he couldn`t get up and I had top see what he went through while thev liver and other organs failed wasn`t pretty.
I know this was an old post that got resurrected, but to anyone who second guesses themselves when it comes to making that painful decision that we all dread regarding a beloved pet, our pets look to us to keep them safe, healthy, and free from pain and harm.  A terminally ill pet, does not realize that we are treating its disease with the hope of giving it some more time with us, it can't rationalize that it may feel better tomorrow after a night of sleep, all it knows is how it feels at that moment.  It cannot conceptualize that if we do a, b, and c, it might have another 6 months with us, all it knows is that it is scared, or hurting, or feeling sick, at that moment.  For that reason, if our pet is in that much distress, and it is known that the animal has a terminal disease, please do not wrestle with yourselves or torture yourselves over having made that awful decision.  By making that decision, you have performed the ultimate act of love for your pet, you have released them from the sickness, the pain, and the fear of being ill.  You have lived up to your end of the bargain you made with the pet when you took it in, to never let it suffer and to love it with all your heart.  Try to see it as having loved your pet enough to make sure that it didn't suffer even one more day instead of thinking "why did I do that now when he might have had another month with me?".  Another month of what?  More pain, more wondering why he was feeling that way.  

Animals do not "do" illness well.  In the animal world, showing that you are ill makes you prey to another animal.  Humans can cuddle up on the couch with a blanket over them and, even in the face of serious illness, they know WHY they feel the way they do.  Illness is frightening for animals because it is instinctive for them to not want to show it, because even though they are house pets, their genetic makeup tells them that if they are sick, they are sitting ducks, and that is a scary thing for them.  So if it is a terminal illness, and it has progressed enough for your pet to be showing outward signs of being ill, please don't torture yourselves, because you are showing how much you love and understand them to release them from that pain and that fear.  Comfort yourself with the memories of the good years you had together, and know that you performed the ultimate act of the love a pet owner has for his pet, releasing him from the pain.  

God Bless anyone who is forced to make this decision.  It's the hardest thing in the world to do. But never second guess yourself.   Never torture yourself for having loved your pet, and for having kept up your end of the bargain.

Ghilly
I agree 100% with Ghilly.  When you have a pet with a terminal illness, particularly cancer, there is hardly a "wrong" decision.  Sometimes fighting back with chemo and radiation are a worse way to go than letting the illness take its course.  All we can do is evaluate our loved ones' quality of life as best we can and take it from there.

Some dogs make the decision for us.  They make it very clear they are through with trying to eat, drink, play or even cuddle up with us.  Others, like my Chica one year ago, refuse to give up one minute of life no matter how miserable they feel.  That's how I can say there is no true "wrong" decision.  We all know our dogs better than anyone else.  True love and respect can mean saying goodbye before we ourselves are ready.
This site has some good info:

http://doghemangiosarcoma.blogspot.com/
Devastating barely describes my day.  
Errands on Friday, worked Sat/Sun, commitments on Monday.  Though everyone who was around my Sadie, a 10yr old Belgian Malinois, over the weekend didn't notice a difference in her behavior, I noticed a drastic difference.  She didn't show much appetite on Monday night; she's a picky eater anyway I thought. But she seemed a bit lethargic too and her breathing seemed rapid.  Tuesday morning, she wasn't herself ~  appetite and energy.  Hand fed her some chicken, but she just kind of layed around and then the breathing still seemed fast.  What got me to call the vet for a visit on Wednesday morning was the large mass above her right shoulder.  "Please don't let it be cancer" I thought.  Vet said with the location, it was probably a fatty tumor and I should think about removing it to help with range of motion and also to give Sadie aspirin for a week, that she's probably just sore.  Other treatments were postponed for the day, feeling slightly relieved that she's behaving this way because of a soreness.

Come Thursday, with only continued deterioration in her condition including her respirations seeming more labored, the vet couldn't get her in for full blood work until Tuesday.  730am yesterday morning I was frantic to find some other vet to get her in somewhere that was going to be able to run the gammet on my girl and figure out what was wrong with her.  At this point she was only getting up to pee 3 times a day with what appeared to be increased thirst and the respirations had turned noisy and her nose had turned from dry to runny, the discharge light pink.

Thank God!  An appointment at 10am.  The vet was amazing!  A very thorough exam.  We did blood work, checked out the shoulder mass, check the other lymph nodes and felt her and listed to her up and down and an abdominal xray.  My poor Sadie just laid there, too weak to do much else.  I was thinking infection or something "treatable" even after the vet felt there was fluid collecting in her abdomen. I was so unprepared for the news the vet returned with ~ hemangiosarcoma of the spleen with no long term prognosis.

I took Sadie home last night for the entire family and other pets to say their last goodbyes, with plans to return for euthanasia at noon today. I slept with her on the porch where she liked to lay, and lately with almost no strength to do anything else.  Listening to her breath through the night was heartbreaking.  I just remember hearing her labor to breath, then the breathing would slow and quiet and I just prayed it would all end right then so it wouldn't have to come a me deciding to put her to end the next day.  She made it through the night and was found in the same immobile position in our wood shed, one of her favorite places to lay.  She could watch everything going on out front.  She was the protector of the property.  So this lameness was beyond "not her" and must have been very difficult position for her to feel in.

All morning I was second guessing my choice to go thru with things.  I called doctors that knew, friends with internet access (I couldn't even research myself, our server was down), and several other vets, including the location they suggested if we wanted a possibility of a few months life extension thru spleen surgery.  With all the info pointing in the same direction, I had to keep reviewing in my head all of the results at the vet and how 99.9% conclusive they were that this is what she had.  I so had to release that minute shadow of a doubt that it was something else.We were so blessed to arrange appointments with the vet that we did.  They agreed to come to our house to give Sadie the medications. Sadie was so weak from anemia, nose crusted with blood-tinged discharge, even her crystal clear, sparkling eyes of wisdom looked like they were bleeding inside.  The color blurring around her pupils.

I felt helpless to see her laying there.  One vet said the bloody nasal discharge was from possible matastisis, the other mentioned pulmonary effusions.  Either way, they are both awful and systemtic effects. 1130, our entire family was there holding her, sobbing.  She was so weak, it took a small fraction of the medicine before she collapsed into my arms, go limp and heavy and quickly fade off to sleep.  We kept her at home for short while longer, and brought her ourselves back to the clinic to say even more "goodbyes".  

I can't believe she's gone.  It all happened so fast!  One day she was my complete companion, herder of the other pets, protector of the property ~ to watch that all slip away so quickly ~ it's all surreal!  I don't know if this comment will help anyone.  I think it may have helped me a small bit.  Tears, tears and more tears.  I miss her so much already even though it seems like I've been on a roller coaster of morning over the past 5 days.  

I am so grateful to have had her as a pet, she was the most amazing animal!  I am grateful to have had last night with her and be with her in her last moments. I still have those thoughts: she was such a strong dog, maybe she would proved them wrong with a long post surgical recovery, maybe she was bleeding from something else, if only I had done bloodwork on Wednesday, did I miss seeing something?  All the "what ifs".  I hope I did the right thing by her.  I will miss those eyes, her cuddly neck and seeing her everyday.  I'm going to miss awful sleeping with her tonight.  I've slept on the floor with her a few times over the past week.  I love you Sadie!
I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost my Oliver to hemangiosarcoma. It happened very fast. From first symptom to dying in my arms was only 3 weeks. We were still running tests to determine type of mass. The autopsy confirmed hemangiosarcoma. He hemorrhaged and died in my arms on the way to the vet. It was horrific and I am traumatized that he passed in a way that seemed painful (he had blood coming out of his nose and mouth, looking at me, and my being completely helpless). I can’t get the image out of my head. So please don’t feel you did the wrong thing. I wish I had known Oliver had hemangiosarcoma and that any activity increased the risk of hemorrhage. I loved him so much and am devastated that he did not have a peaceful passing.
I am so sorry to hear about Sadie.  My beloved Kiodee, German Shepard (10) died on Sunday morning around 2:30 am. She had a mass on the side of her stomach, and we had it checked out immediately.  The vet did a biopsy, and the results came back negative for cancer.  We were so excited and that was 10 months ago.  She was a fighter, having many medical conditions since she was born.  She had a heart murmor, had displacia in the elbow of her front right leg, and then formed arthritis.  But every day she would smile at me, and was always my protector.  On the day of my birthday party, the family wanted to check out new property that my wife and I had purchased.  I picked her up and put her in the truck and she was excited.  We get there and she was running around having a great time.  When it was time to leave, she went to jump in and got stuck half way up, which usually happened.  When we got home, she would not get out of it.  I picked her up and put on the ground gently asking her "what is wrong baby"  My dad checked her out and she was in no pain, but was extremely weak.  So, my parents finished their visit, and I brought her in the house.  She puked within an hour, and I called the vet.  He said that from the sounds of it, she hurt her back or tore a muscle.  I checked her eyes and her gums and everything was fine, so I thought.  She puked again and wanted outside because she was embarrassed.  I let her out and then followed her, she was laying in the grass. I told her to get up and to go to the kennel so that nothing harms her.  She got up, and jogged easily to the kennel, laid down and just sighed.  I touched her back and felt her stomach and I noticed that her stomach was mushy not hard rock.  Odd i thought so I checked her gums again and eyes, and all was well.  So I felt the vets prognosis was correct plus she never vomited any blood.  I told her that daddy loves her and I will be back a first break of morning to take her in to see what we need to do.  I stroked her head, kissed her and came in at 2:30 am. I woke up at 6:30 am and bolted outside to see how my baby was.  She died in her sleep.  I was devestated, and my wife was to.  I called the vet and he came down immediatley.  He felt her and checked her out and he said she was dead for almost four hours.  My baby waited for me to leave, and finally went home.  Riddled with "what happened" i orded an autopsy and got the results today.  A malignant tumour had burst in her spleen and she bled internally she was loaded with them, called hemangiosarcoma.  Knowing this now has given me great peace.  I miss her so much and feel that if I would have had her at the vet's I would have done anything to save my sweetheart, but the prognosis would have been the same.  If she would have been miraculously saved, she would have had to have the spleen removed and she might have lived another month or so, but with what quality of life.  I love her so much that I am at peace with my saviours decision to take her.  The cancer did not spread yet to her brain, heart, kidney or liver, and it would have and she would have been in pain.  I know I will see her again when I cross over the rainbow bridge to get her. I love you Kiodee, and daddy will be with you again someday.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am so very very sorry. I know exactly how hard this is, how it hurts. My dog had hemangiosarcoma of the Spleen, but also tumors on her liver, and three subcutaneously.
The first thing I knew about this was an egg shaped smooth lump came up on her ribs literally overnight. It wasn't there Saturday....it appeared Sunday morning. I was so sure it couldn't be cancer, and thought maybe she had a bruised rib.
The vet did a needle-biopsy, and suspected Hemangiosarcoma. Yet she still seemed fine! Very well in herself with no lethargy or vomiting. She was no youngster but was incredibly fit and active.
Then suddenly she had an internal bleed. She almost died, then pulled out of it and was recovering very well. The vet did an ultrasound and found the Spleen and liver tumors. He said if she had "slow bleeds" occasionally, she could have months, and have quite good quality of life in between. He had seen that happen. However that was not to be. One week after her first bleed, she had a second, and it was very bad. I had to have her put to sleep.
Until the last 2 weeks of her life she was an active healthy dog, I would never have guessed she had terminal cancer. That's the thing with Hemangiosarcoma . They seem OK until it suddenly overwhelms them. No one knows it's there.

Please accept my condolences in your grief. Know that the love never dies. Know that your girl has gone to Spirit and is just fine where she is. I have had 4 events since my dog died that have shown me her eternal life. They were very powerful and lovely experiences, never to be forgotten.
Hold onto the love you had for your girl, through your tears.
Take care,
Love and hugs from me.
My dog is a 9 yr old Gt Dane w/hemangiosarcoma. He was fine until last night. He suddenly cannot walk, nor can he stand. His tumors are really prominenant, subcutaneous. I cannot stand the pain of watching him leave his body, yet his vet says he isnot in pain. I am washing his face with a cool cloth, holding his head. My husband and I are taking turns staying wiht him so he is never alone. How do you handle this? The pain is unbearable. I do not want to lose him, but I do not want to prolong this agony. WHat to do? What to do?  
Lovers of life, compassionate, caring and kindhearted folk,

I wish you resolve as your remember your beloved and the wonderful memories shared.  You made your decisions from a place deep devotion, so it was the right decision.

The Meaning
As bright as the sun, you say
As swift as the Autumn winds

But, no matter how powerful, I say
How empty without LOVE

With deepest sympathy and warm regards,
Lauren

The Meaning
As bright as the sun, you say
As swift as the Autumn winds

But, no matter how powerful, I say
How empty without LOVE

With deepest sympathy and warm regards,
Lauren
So here we struggle with this dilemma as well. Rushed our Swiss Mountain dog, Gridley, to the vet tonight. He had been on Prednisone which, initially, perked him up as good as new, Today we came home to find him unable to stand and listless. Gastric ulcer vs. hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. Cannot stand to see him suffer. Spending a few nights at the vet's office to see what they can do. He has lived an amazing 10 1/2 years (life span is 6-10 years). Would hate to see him leave us, butwant him to be free of the pain and suffering.