A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members
337969 tn?1208792249

lump on my labs back

my 3 yr old full blooded lab has a lump that has been there off and on for the last year and a half. i took him to the vet in town and they gave me a cone to put on him cause he chews on it. it has been there for a good 6 months now and the vet we see said the same thing. i am concerned cause it is very large and doesn't seem to go away now. i have noticed that there is some discharge around it.
5 Responses
Find a different vet for a second opinion.  It could be many things, a tumor, a cyst, a fatty lump combined with infection.  

Get a second/third opinon.
My dog had the same thing on his leg. it was a cyst and they just removed it. they tested for cancer, but it came back negative. he just had a couple stitches and that was it!
Go to another vet for sure!
337969 tn?1208792249
thanks for the input. i will definately do that.
I have a weimaraner and today while i was rubbing him, i noticed a lump that was not there a day before. It was located directly to the right of his shoulderblade and i was just wondering if i should be worried? I was reading some articles before coming upon this site and i found that sometimes dogs will react to a rabbies booster in developing this lump. He did in fact receive a rabbies boos about two-three weeks ago. I just want to play it safe here. Any comments?!
82861 tn?1333453911
I can't believe your vet thinks that leaving an "Elizabethan" collar on your dog for 6 months is appropriate treatment.  The lump needs to be removed regardless of whether or not it's malignant.  I had several fatty tumors removed off my old dog a few years ago when he started biting on them after totally ignoring the things for over 2 years.  The surgery is very simple, and shouldn't be very expensive either - at least as far as surgery is concerned.  :-)
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child