Dogs Community

my dog died suddenly

My dog unfortunately just died he was 8 years old and just started with vomiting and just wanted to drink water but would vomit it out anyway the vet said he might have panceatitis but didn't suggest anything only maybe blood tests but they wouldn't get the results before xmas and just before he died he did brown/yellow diarrhoea and went to vet again but they couldn't help him hr had a seizure there and died within 5 minutes i just wanted some answers as to what might have killed him.
Oh I am SO sorry!  Bad enough to lose your friend, but it's so much worse during what is supposed to be a joyous time of year.

I have to agree with your vet regarding the cause of death.  I lost my first dog to pancreatitis and he had the same symptoms as your dog.  It's an extremely painful condition and very difficult and expensive to treat.  The only blessing here is that your dog was spared a great deal of suffering and took a difficult decision out of your hands.  The only way to know for certain what happened is a full postmortem exam if the blood work doesn't confirm pancreatitis.  

I know you have to be in terrible shock right now, but do your best to remember all the good times you had with your baby.  Those good days far outweigh the sickness and suffering at the end.  Cry all you need to.  It's a necessary part of grief and it does help to let it out.  Blessings to you and yours during this difficult time.  :-)
I. Believe she's right atleast its over for her so sorry for your loss lol
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am very very sorry this happened. It is so sad.
Ditto what Jaybay said, but I just wanted to add that you are always welcome here, especially if you are feeling down or sad, or need to talk about your dog.
It's easy to feel shut out at Christmas if you are feeling grief, but there will always be someone here to talk to.
God bless.
I am so sorry to hear about your pets passing.  This is always so tough.  Sounds like you did everything you could~~~~~sara
how do they get pancreatitis and can you avoid it
Hello agnes,
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.  It sounds like to me also that it might have been pancreatitis. It is so difficult when we lose a member of our family.  Pancreatitis unfortunately can become severe basically overnight, and that might be what happened in your guys case. Again I am very sorry for your loss.  God Bless Brenda

Hello heartfluttersflyawayplz, A dog can get pancreatitis from infections, obesity, trauma, medications-sulfa drugs, and chemotherapy, following surgery, and metabolic disorders.  Also my Vet told me that feeding them Red Meat such as Steak, Hamburger etc. can contribute to it as well.   A dog does not have the necessary enzymes to properly break down the proteins and digest them.  The best way to help prevent it is to avoid the above mentioned causes when possible, watch for early warning signs of  diarrhea, nausea, depression, vomiting,  and abdominal pain.  If any of  these signs are noticed seek Vet assistance immediately as IV treatment may be necessary for dehydration   I Hope This Helps!  Brenda
I have just lost my 7.5 yr old german sheppard,he was my life!!!!!.I had to return to england for 2 weeks and put in the kennels where he allways went when we went on holiday,the day before we were due to fly home my daughter rang to say he was very poorly,so i rang the vet back in canada and she said he had passed in the night,the simptoms of my Harvey was no pain but every time he drank water he would through up white throff and it came out of his nose.It was very sudden and they dont realy know what this was but they thought it might have been pancreatitus,my regret is that i was'nt with him,i will miss him very much and i am not coping very well with the loss,i am 50 yrs old and i cry like a baby because of him gone,the people that was with him in his last hours loved him also,and i cant thank them enough.R.I.P. My Beautifull boy