A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.4k Members

pug coughing

Hi,
My Pug is almost 4years old.  She has started coughing and gagging about 5-6 days ago.  It happens every few hours then she is fine.  She is eating and drinking without an issues also.  It sounds as if she is coughing up phlem but nothing ever comes up.  Her breathing is fine, never gasps for air and there has been no voimiting either.  She sleeps most of the night with out coughing.  It sounds like kennel cough but I am pretty sure it is not!  She is an inside dog and we have a fenced in yard.  She is only around our other dog who has no coughing issues at all.  Is it possible that my Pug has allergies with all the pollen floating around in the air.  We live in the woods in North Carolina. Thanks Dana
2 Responses
942557 tn?1272694819
There is a very good chance that she is coughing and gagging due to allergies.I have a pekingese that is doing the same thing.My vet told me to give her some Benadryl.The pollen count is really high here where i live and after it rains she is fine for a few days and then when the pollen gets high again then she starts coughing again.Unless you have boarded her latley then i wouldnt really wouldnt worry about kennel cough unless she has been somewhere to be exposed.Is she up to date on her vaccinations?.Breeds with the flat faces seem to have more trouble this time of year with allergies.You could call your vets office and they can tell you how to dose the Benadryl for her weight.Good luck.I hope she is feeling better soon.
82861 tn?1333453911
Benadryl dosage is 1 mg per pound of the dog's body weight.  That's typically quite a bit more than most people would imagine.  If you decide to use it, make sure that it's ONLY benadryl (diphenhydramine) and doesn't also contain something else like a decongestant.  It's always best to consult your vet before giving any medication - it's certainly worth a quick call to make sure it's not contraindicated with anything else your dog takes or any other conditions she may have.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365460645
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424653129
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.