Dogs Community

pug coughing

My Pug is almost 4years old.  She has started coughing and gagging about 5-6 days ago.  It happens every few hours then she is fine.  She is eating and drinking without an issues also.  It sounds as if she is coughing up phlem but nothing ever comes up.  Her breathing is fine, never gasps for air and there has been no voimiting either.  She sleeps most of the night with out coughing.  It sounds like kennel cough but I am pretty sure it is not!  She is an inside dog and we have a fenced in yard.  She is only around our other dog who has no coughing issues at all.  Is it possible that my Pug has allergies with all the pollen floating around in the air.  We live in the woods in North Carolina. Thanks Dana
There is a very good chance that she is coughing and gagging due to allergies.I have a pekingese that is doing the same thing.My vet told me to give her some Benadryl.The pollen count is really high here where i live and after it rains she is fine for a few days and then when the pollen gets high again then she starts coughing again.Unless you have boarded her latley then i wouldnt really wouldnt worry about kennel cough unless she has been somewhere to be exposed.Is she up to date on her vaccinations?.Breeds with the flat faces seem to have more trouble this time of year with allergies.You could call your vets office and they can tell you how to dose the Benadryl for her weight.Good luck.I hope she is feeling better soon.
Benadryl dosage is 1 mg per pound of the dog's body weight.  That's typically quite a bit more than most people would imagine.  If you decide to use it, make sure that it's ONLY benadryl (diphenhydramine) and doesn't also contain something else like a decongestant.  It's always best to consult your vet before giving any medication - it's certainly worth a quick call to make sure it's not contraindicated with anything else your dog takes or any other conditions she may have.