Dogs Community

sick shitzu with sudden weakness and severe pain all over

I have a 3 year old Shitzu all of the sudden she became weak and in pain all over just to the touch, doesn't want to eat or drink. she is strictly in a controled area never ever out of my sight and not around any other animals period. she has never been sick ever, until now. there is only one vet in my country area. he assumed she has been poisoned and wanted to put her down right then. I took her home and need help what can I do? Please help me now?  
Welcome to the forum.......Does she have Poisoning symptoms? (Vomiting/Diarrhea) What led the Vet to that conclusion?

This is not enough information to go on....What your describing could be a result of many things......Can you describe her symptoms in more detail so we can try and narrow it down?

Did your Vet do a blood panel?.....This would have been the place to start....Did he offer you a blood test to see if any of her levels were off?
Has she ever been tested for Tick Borne Diseases? Did he do any testing? How about a urinalysis to check for UTI or blood in urine? Is she running a fever? Did your Vet give her any medications? Did he treat her pain with any anti-inflammatories? Did he offer you any help at all?

How far do you live from another Vet? Within driving distance for a second opinion?

Any more info that you have would be helpful.......Thanks, Karla

hello again, he took blood tests this afternoon, no results yet. the only vet near me is 100 miles away. this vet seemed to have very little interest in my baby. no urine tests, no tick tests,  she has no fever. He came to this conclusion he said because her tummy was hard as a rock and she was stiff and in pain and acted larthargic. It was a mere suggestion by him she was probably piosoned and it was kinder to put her down then have her suffer. I was never so hurt in my life, I am newly divorced and this 3 pound shih tzu is my entire life and love. she never ever leaves my side even when she goes out to pee I am right there, thats why I know she didn't get into anything, she eats lamb and rice dog food. She has never ever been sick at all.  her poo is dark brown and kinda sticky this seems gross but when pooped this afternoon when I got back home and I put gloves on and went through it to see if I could find reasons. It was just dark and gooie. her temt stays at 101.4, she finally drank some canned milk this evening and I gave her a half baby aspirin and that did help the pain. But she just lays there, and pants her tummy is a bit hard. she doesn't seem to have any interest in drinking water so every 20 minutes I squeeze about 4 TBSP of water down her with a sirygne. I am so scared. There is no other vet to take her to. I live in the mountians in Montana.
I did tell the vet something and he dismissed it totally yesterday I got a new bed which is about 10 inches taller then my other one was she sleeps with me and easily jumped up and down off my old bed. this bed being so much higher is it possable she jumped down and may have injured something inside with the height differance she is only 3 pounds and 7 ounces. very small. the vet said she had excellant muscle stucture so that wouldn't be it. But could that happen?
Ok...She's not vomiting and does not have diarrhea, so poison is not possible!

Panting is a sign of pain......Did this weakness come on suddenly? How long has she been like this? When she does walk, is she hunched over?

"But could that happen?"
Yes, it could happen & does all the time! I think she has herniated a disc in her back......Yes, from the bed!  This is a very painful condition & She needs prescription pain meds & Steroids.......She will not eat as long as she is in this much pain.....You can find information under IVDD (Intervertebral Disc/Disk Disease).....She also needs complete cage rest for 4-6 weeks in order for the disc to retract.....You can read all about it by googling IVDD......

An xray may show the herniation and it may not........However, all Vets should recognize these signs & start treatment immediately......What you don't want is for the disc to rupture......Then your looking at an emergency surgery.....

If this is the only Vet available, then your gonna have to call this to his attention......He works for you!!!!!  

You must get some pet stairs for your bed & couch for the future.....You will have to train her to use them, but it's easy to do.......

I would like to know what Lamb & Rice food you feed.....There have been a number of recalls lately & all though unrelated, it is important to not be feeding one of them.....Especially, to such a tiny dog.......

You can get some childrens pedialyte to keep her hydrated.......When you go back to the Vet, ask for a Tube of Nutrical (Or something similar)......It's a high calorie paste that you squeeze on your finger and put in the roof of a dogs mouth......This supplies nutrition for a dog that is not eating......She really does need this.....Can also be purchased at any pet store if you have one around you......

The tight tummy is classic for a back injury........Most Vets probably DO NOT recognize it as such, but IT IS!!!

Please let me know how her blood work comes out & any other developments or questions........I'll be thinking about you both.........Karla

Another thought......Is your dog vomiting at all? I'm wondering about "Pancreatitis" here, too......Her symptoms would fit this, also.......This can turn into an emergency quickly........When you hear from your Vet, MAKE SURE you ask if the blood work pointed toward Pancreatitis...It would show up on one part of the results....Again, make sure you ask........This needs to be ruled out!

Gotta get all the creatures to bed......It's 2 AM and I'm tired.......Bye for now
yes this weakness came on all of the sudden, she jumped off the bed yesterday as soon as I got it set up, that was early evening, not more then an hour after I got it set up I saw her shaking like she was cold I went to pick her up and she cried out in pain. I thought maybe she hurt a leg so I just sat the rest of the evening and held her until the next day to make the trip to the vet and yes hes the only vet and is a large animal vet, cows and horses. thats why I thought it might be when she jumped off the bed, I could kick myself for not thinking of the extra height, I have stacked lots of books until steps can be built. But I am carring her everywhere so as to not have her in pain. Yes she is haunched over when she walks, I can tell the baby aspirin does make a differance she stops panting for awhile and "trys" to wag her tail.  She has had Nutrical everyday since birth. I am not letting her walk tho, I pick her up take her out to pee, (I want to see if she pees and the color each time) I carry her to her food and water, she eats very small amounts of soft puppy food and canned milk, will this keep her stools loose? Won't constipation hurt her so badly?  I have checked her temp several times it is staying study at 101.4. she has only vomitted once a very tiny amount, I am feelng it was the aspirin on an empty stomach, and the trauma of the vet, she hasn't vomitted since then and has eaten tiny portions several times.  she has always eaten Purina One Lamb and Rice. It is the smallest chunks I could find that she could eat with her mouth being so small. I also have a mail Shihtzu several years older and he is just fine, my little girl is spayed.  Like I said this baby has never been sick one minute her entire little life.  I cant thank you enough for your valuable time and information.  I will certainly be more demanding to this vet, I must do what I can for my little angel, I could never give to her what she given me, she is everything to me. sleep well.