Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dogs Community
10.3k Members

very sick dog

Hi my mothers dog,was in a random fight with a badger,last week.she took him too the vet,he had severe head trauma and respiratory problems.his whole condition rapidly declined,vet kept him in the sergery,on a drip.now vet thinks he may have contracted infectious disease from badger. Is this posible?what sort of diseases can badgers carry?. thanks
3 Responses
675347 tn?1365464245
COMMUNITY LEADER
Badgers can carry Tuberculosis. But my guess is that the wounds he got just became infected. There are many soil-borne bacteria which badgers would have under their claws, and this kind of thing could have got into his wounds.
They have really sharp teeth, so puncture wounds are highly likely and they can easily become infected, whether caused by an animal, or sharp pointed object.

It seems he needs a course of antibiotics, but I guess your vet will have that in hand. The drip is probably to re-hydrate him because he will not drink? If a dog feels too sick to eat and drink, it is put on a drip as a regular thing.

I suppose you could have a TB test, you could ask your vet about this. But whether or not it would show up, so soon after possible infection, and whether dogs are susceptible to cross-infection from Badgers(?) I really don't know enough to say. Speak to your vet about it.
My mothers dog may jaundice now contracted from an infection.any ideas on a diet that could help.........
675347 tn?1365464245
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm so sorry because I don't know a good diet for liver disease/jaundice. There are many different causes for jaundice, whether it's infectious hepatitis, or liver failure, or a few different things.
All I DO know is that Milk Thistle herb is safe for dogs and is a good supportive help for liver function. It is very often given to dogs. I am afraid I'm not certain of the dosage though.
Have an Answer?
Top Dogs Answerers
675347 tn?1365464245
United Kingdom
974371 tn?1424656729
Central Valley, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child