Down Syndrome Community
395 Members

HELP! How can I help my downsyndrome students aggressive behaviour?

I have recently started working at a school and do Speech and Langauge interventions, a year 4 girl with downsyndrome has been added to my case load. however I am finding her behaviour quite difficult to manage. I feel like I am letting her down. Her speech is very poor and this can add to the frustration she has. My student will be laughing and happy one second and the next she will be aggressive and hitting and swearing. We have tried reward charts and thinking time but she doesn't seem to be bothered by this.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make our time productive? And not be solely focused on the negatives. I've tried showing my student that once we do our work we can do some singing or play her favourite games. She also swears a lot in general conversation.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.