Hips

Just found out today that my 3yr old daughter needs surgery on her hips, she constantly dislocates the left and now is starting to dislocate the right. I suspected a problem a while ago but I'm shocked that consultant said aswell as tightening the ligaments and muscles, he may also have to break the bones to realign her legs. Has anyone info or advise please...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, thanks for your post. When my daughters hips were xrayed, the left was completely out of the socket, it's now got to the stage where she's losing her balance and falling over. We're expecting a phone call tomorrow morning to give us a date for her exploratory procedure. I'm beyond stressed about it, She has already had cardiac surgery, and a gastostromy peg, so I thought we were done with the big stuff! The biggest worry for me is that when it's done, she will be traumatised when she can't move her legs because of the cast. I don't know how I can prepare her because she isn't at an age that she would understand. I'm thinking she will be terrified by not knowing what is happening to her.
Helpful - 0
Not only do I have a child w/ Downs but I actually went through this same thing as a child.  My mom put me in dance.  Because of the different positions in ballet, it forced my feet out instead of turning in, and it actually corrected my feet/hips alot.  The other option was to do surgery and to be in a wheelchair and have to learn to walk again but my mom opted out and today, I'm fine!  (Now 29)  I'd get a second opinion.  I know Down's kids muscles are different as well but thought I'd share that with you.  My son's feet are turning in as well and he's joints pop a lot but I think that's just another commonality in Downs.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Down Syndrome Community

An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.