Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community

Gastroparesis

Just checking to see who all is dealing with gastroparesis, your symptoms and treatment.  I would also like to know if it has progressed and to what stage.

Recently, I had an upper endoscopy.  I hadn't eaten in twelve hours and the dr. said my stomach was filled with food and he couldn't look around.  I seem to have all the symptoms, severe bloating, getting weak, sweating and having to lay down after eating.  

I believe I am having issues with my intestines also.  Let me know if any of you have had a problem with this, what it is called and what can be done.

Thank you so much!

Cathy
I have gastroparesis.  My main symptoms before treatment were sharp stomach pain, terrible bloating, gas that smelled like something rotten, and belches that would win a contest.  I also had more trouble with dizziness and passing out for a few hours after eating.  I tried a couple antibiotics that happen to help move food through faster, and they didn't help at all.  My doctor does not want to put me on Reglan, because it can also mess with your autonomic system, potentially making my syncope worse.  At my doctor's suggestion, I have cut out almost all fat, spices, and fiber out of my diet, and this has helped some.  I no longer have the stomach pain, and the gas doesn't smell rotten any more.  I have also had my dose of Mestinon increased for other reasons, and I think this helps as well, as it causes all muscles to contract more.  I didn't have any trouble with my intestines when I was diagnosed 1.5 years ago, but they have definitely slowed down in the last 6 months.

Have you had a gastric emptying test done to confirm gastroparesis?  I would have thought your doctor would order one as soon as he saw all that food sitting in your stomach.  In addition to the massive discomfort it causes us, gastroparesis can also cause bezoars to form in your stomach.  They are small stone-like accumulations of the undigested food that has been sitting around in your stomach, and they have to be removed surgically.  They other problem, of course, is that if your stomach is totally full of food, any medication you're taking could also be sitting around in your stomach not doing you any good.

Agreeing w/ AireScottie,
Did your doc not order a Gastric Emptying Test to confirm? How is he basing his dx?
soley on the Endoscopy?

I was also dx w/ Gastro - Paresis several years ago. medication at that time I was taking was taken off the market by FDA?  or by someone saying not safe.......Scottie do you remember the name of that med?

Anyhow, I had a lot of stomach problems but gastro doc just contributed them to IBS at first until I had actual test done.
I wish you well and hope that you can get some answers.

Oh ya, I stay clear from fried foods and anything w /a tomato base or tomato's period.
ex; pizza, spaghetti, and so on.  While I do miss these foods, Not enough to deal with the sx they bring w/ it.

Take Care,
~Tonya
Thank you for your help.  Yes, my GI said gastroparesis.  I hadn't eaten for twelve hours before the test and he said there was a lot of food in there.  This combined with my symptoms, led him to this dx.  I have had the gastric emptying test nine years for another issue.  As embarrassing as this is to admit - I hate eggs and can't imagine getting it down.  I put the University of PA through hell trying to accomodate me.  It was like a scene from a sitcom.   Also, I cannot imagine the point, since obviously my food isn't moving in my stomach or intestines.  I have heard people mention a pace maker for the stomach.  At this point, I swear I would take a feeding tube and colostomy.  I have so man issues with this disorder and not sure where to turn, knowing that a cure or reversal will never happen.  I'm at my wits end and praying for a miracle.
Yeah, that's a pretty good sign of gastroparesis!  A pacemaker might be a good idea.  What did the doc say?  I had to start out by cutting ALL fiber from my diet, including fruit and veggies temporarily.  Once the inflammation and excess food calmed down, I was able to add back pureed veggies.  Have you tried modifying your diet yet?  I know your case is more severe than mine, so it might not be enough.

I'm praying for you too!
Digestive symtoms seem to be one of the first signs that my nervous system is going out of whack.  It just stops.  I can't eat without pain.  I am only having fluids right now.  Shelley
Hi Shelley-

Sorry to hear about your pain.  How long have you been living on fluids?  Can you give me examples of what fluids you are drinking, aside from water, coffee/tea and broth?
I have thought of giving that a try.

Thank you-
Cathy