Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Allergy/Eczema in Ears leaking clear fluid

I've had eczema in my ears for 15 yrs. It is very cyclical, starting w/intense uncontrollable itching, then clear fluid leaking from skin, followed by crusting over & flaking of skin in ears that is itchy in & of itself, leading to more scratching & picking at ears. The skin in my ears gets very damaged and ratty during outbreaks. I also have swelling of the ear canal after these itch/scratch episodes that are sometimes quite painful, & Motrin helps that.  ENT Dr. prescribed steriod cream. Yes, it clears it up & I follow through w/recommended application after rash dissappears, but as SOON as I stop applying cream, rash returns just as intense. I don't use steriod creams anymore because it's not a CURE & I'm not crazy about putting steriods in my head everyday. I know eczema is really an allergy & will never disappear until allergen is removed. My next step is to see an allergist to find out what could be triggering this.  I read that a nickel allergy can create eczema around ears from wearking earrings (most are made of nickel).  But I'm more concerned now because I'm noticing more leaking of the clear fluid.  Does anyone else experience this clear fluid leaking?  What is it?  Lymph fluid trying to heal the area? CSF leaking, in my case maybe from trauma to the ear canal from the severe scratching episodes I go through?
If you can collect the ear fluid bring it to an ENT who can send it for lab resluts to see if it is CSF leaking.  Though  it should be in a sterile container and I am not sure how long the fluid if it is CSF will hold stable for.  But your best bet is to try and collect it.
i totally have the exact thing your talking about w/ the ear eczema... skin, itch, crusting, leaking everthing...omg....i cant take anymore either.....
I don't know if you will read this as your note was posted a little while ago...  but I have had the same eczema in my ears for years too.  The same itching, scratching and weeping (which is a colourless fluid the same as produced by other types of eczema).   I used steroid cream for years too but I also didn't think it was good for my body in general.  I have now discovered Aloe Propolis cream...  it is totally natural and I pop a little in my ears if they feel dry or itchy.  It hasn't cured completely yet...  but these things take a while... but it is definitely helping and is something I will continue to use always.  If you need a supplier I can recommend one.   Best wishes.
hi my mum has this exact thing and i would be very grateful if you would recommend a supplier of the cream tht you mentioned
Hi I had the same itch in my ears and nose. The itch and the clear fluid that leaked out drove me bonkers. I tried numerous creams that were prescribed by my doctor. Nothing worked. Then I went to a different doctor and he recommended a lotion called Ectoson regular 0.1%. BINGO!!!! the eczema in and around my ears and nose is gone. I  apply a bit of it to the affected area 1-2 times a day and around 4-6 days my rash was just about gone. I've only been on this stuff for 3 weeks now. I am starting to use less and less to see if the rash comes back. I hope this info helps you people out.
I seem to have similar problem.  For several years now I have had greater amounts of wax and occasionally, once a month in each ear fluid leaking for a day.  Then fluid stops and firms up like a yellowy wax out of the ear.  Now my one ear has gotten worse to the point I have been taking steroid drops to keep it clear as I wait to see specialist.  The doctor says wax in the ears or an ear infection that will not go away but this may be a skin ear irritation - I do have rosacia on my face.

Anyone else have similar problem ?  What should I use rather then steroid drops ?

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life