Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Are antibiotics sufficient in some cases for peritonsillar abscesses?

My doctor prescribed 300 mg every 6 hours of Clindamycin after diagnosing me with a peritonsillar abscess. She said that if I had problems breathing or drinking, I should go to my er to have it drained. However, all the things I am reading online are saying that aspiration or drainage is how they are treated with a follow up of antibitotics.

Is it possible that this abscess can go away without a trip to the er?

Thanks.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Quinsy is peritonsillar abscess that is there is pus collection around the tonsils. If the abscess has fully formed, it warrants incision and drainage of the abscess. This is an emergency and needs to be treated with IV antibiotics. It is also an indication for tonsillectomy. But in the initial stages it can be treated with oral antibiotics. If your symptoms are worsening or are not improving, go to the ER for an assessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life