Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Blood in ear/otitis externa

A few days ago I was beginning to experience some itches in my left ear. When I used a cotton bud to alleviate the itchiness and got it out there was blood on the end. At that time, I suspected it might be an "infection."

Then two nights ago I decided to pour warm water into my left ear - which I now know was not a smart decision - to cleanse the ear canal because I was afraid that the "infection" might get worse and clog my ear. When I got the water out the first time my ear clogged. I managed to unclog it with a cotton bud. But the second time when I poured warm water in and got it out my ear clogged again. I tried using a cotton bud to unclog it again, but my ear remain clogged - and is affecting my hearing and I'm getting a constant ringing. Also the pain in my ear got worse (thanks to my stupidity).

Does anyone know what might be the cause for the blood in my ear and do I have otitis externa? And if I do have otitis externa (or whatever it is that's clogging my ear) is there anything I can do to unclog it to regain my hearing? I tried blowing with my nose blocked but it makes no difference. Thank you.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life