Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Breathing Problems Through My Nose

For a little over a month now I have been having problems breathing out of my nose. It happens randomly through out the day on either side. It usually only occurs on one side of my nose at a time and it switches sides constantly. It don't usually feel like sinus pressure like a normal stopped up nose my sinuses don't even feel swollen I just feel like I cant get a good breath when I breath in thru my nose and sometimes it makes it feel like I cant breath good in general or like something is blocking my nose preventing me from being able to get a good breath in. I usually sneeze at least once during the day and that causes my nose to run then it feels dry. I use saline nose spray but it don't always help or if i does it don't help for very long. I am starting to get were I will fall asleep early and wake up an hour or two later feeling hot, real drowsy, and dizzy but get a feeling of not being able to breath good at all weather its thru my mouth or nose and I can feel my heart beating rapidly. Its pretty scary but its been happening a lot lately waking me up for a little bit during the night. I have to turn on my fan and use some saline to help me breath. This is the first issue I have had long lasting with my nose. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Im starting to worry and this is getting hard to deal with. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated thanks!
Hi, the constant sneezing and nasal congestion could be due to vasomotor rhinitis, in which the symptoms occur in response to a trigger, like eating spicy food or going outside in the cold.  The primary treatment is simply avoiding the things that trigger your symptoms. It is often treated with a drying nasal spray (like Atrovent) and antihistamines like chlorpheniramine and loratadine are effective. Nasal decongestant drops too relieve congestion. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. Regards.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life