Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Can't Taste or Smell Anymore

My name is Steve and I live in Baytown, Texas a small costal town full of Industry and pollution. I had troubles with allergies and went to see an ENT which got some X-Rays and put me through repairing a deviated septum and sinus surgery all in one. That was in 1998. I have been through the ringer with my sinuses and infections for quite a while. Seems just when I go to see a new doctor, they get a cat scan and immediately want to do surgery. I have had my MRI’s & Cat scans looked over by internist at Baylor. They can’t see why I would need surgery again other than me and my insurance card and a little co pay. I have to agree with them. I’m not going through that again.

Is there such thing as a doctor that will take a culture to find out why I can’t taste or smell. I can deal with taking antibiotics for months at a time if needed, but would rather loose a finger or toe than my taste and smell. It has been 6 months since I’ve been able to taste or smell. I’m getting depressed and hard to get along with around the house. Are there medical people that will find a source rather than chase a treatment or hit you up for the most expensive procedure they offer?

Thanks, Steve
I did want to add, I do smell a faint smell of oranges of anything I eat or try to smell, even my own cologne. They have been giving me Cipro for bacterial problems, I was wondering if they might be missing a viral without a culture?
Actually loss of smell is one of the complaints regarding cipro...  check into leviquin, which is cipro
I loss my taste and smell way before cipro. I wasn't taking anything for sinus at the time except astelin and nasalnex once a day and an occasional sinus rinse.

Is there another forum that has more activity. This is not what I expected respectfully.
Nose sprays have been linked to that too. My father is a fan of RhinoCort...  he can't smell anything either.

The other thing that comes to mind is a tumor.

I think I would pick the ladder of the two.
Tumor sounds exciting. How does one find out if you have one?

Today just turned out to be a bad day for me. Blurred vision, fatigue, neck aches, weakness you name it. I'm sitting behind a computer for a living, but not living to my best health. I don't know where to turn. I can't figure where to start and keep a job. I have two in college and at 51 in a professional job I can't retire and don't have enough vacation to keep taking off. I guess I was hoping to find the magic solution on a forum. So far it looks like too many variables of why. So if I get the surgery to help take the frequent infections down will I still not be able to taste or smell. Doctors I see can't tell me this and this is the Medical Center Downtown Houston. The Best. I wish "HOUSE" was real. This crew finds the cause, studies the symptoms and finds a remedy. Fiction is inspiring sometimes.
I not sure if you have consulted with a neurologist yet, but a MRI would be a handy way to find a tumor.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life