A
A
A
Close
Ear, Nose & Throat Community
13.3k Members

Click when swallowing

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me.  For a few weeks now I have this click in my throat when I swallow.  Not when I am drinking water or eating, but just during normal swallowing.  It doesn't click when my head is down or up, but it clicks when I am looking straight.  If I put my fingers just above adams apple I can feel a click.

Please help me to identify what it could be.

Thank you,
B
180 Responses
It has been 9 days since I made my post and not one response.  Was it just ignored or no one knows what it could be?
152264 tn?1280358257
I'm sure it's that no one has felt able to tell you what it might be or offer advice. It's frustrating to post and not get any responses (I've had that happen to me many times), but sometimes people really just don't know, especially about unusual symptoms. Please don't feel ignored.

Also remember this particular forum (ENT) is not an official ask-the-doctor forum where a doctor looks at and answers all questions. I do see there's one or two doctors posting here, as well as an audiologist, but they probably didn't know what to say either. Also, they may not be reading every question (everyone is limited in their time), only ones that pop out at them as ones they might be able to be helpful with.

I have no clue what could be causing your click. Try asking your doctor at your next visit (unless it's something that is hurting or really bothering you, in which case ask sooner), and ask for a referral to an ENT if the doctor can't help you.

Another thing you might try is reposting your question more specifically, i.e., "Click in throat when swallowing," in case someone sees it who knows more about throat issues but didn't open your question because they assumed it was a click in your ear. Might not make any difference--but you never know!

Best of luck,
Nancy T. (not a health professional)
Thank you very much for you response and suggestions Nancy!
242516 tn?1368227505
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
yeah, Nancy's right, I'm a doc and wouldn't be able to guess what that click is from.  Ask your doc to look down there with a mirror

An ENT has a laryngoscope that they can use to look down there
It has been more than 7 month and I still have this click, I went to ENT, did a video swallowing test and my ENT said that everything is fine.  I had tonsilectomy 2 weeks prior the click started and I feel that this click is the after cause of the surgery.  Of course ENT will say that everything is fine, because he is the one that did the surgery...  I keep touching my wind tunnel and pushing it with my fingers to the right, something clicks, then after I swallow next few times there is no click and then it comes back again.  Very tired of this clicking sound...  Don't know if it ever will go away.
152264 tn?1280358257
Bummer... sorry you still have this. Why not get a second opinion from another ENT?

Nancy T.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life