Click when swallowing

I was wondering if someone could help me.  For a few weeks now I have this click in my throat when I swallow.  Not when I am drinking water or eating, but just during normal swallowing.  It doesn't click when my head is down or up, but it clicks when I am looking straight.  If I put my fingers just above adams apple I can feel a click.

Please help me to identify what it could be.

Thank you,
B
Any good recommendations for great ENTs in the New England area that would be able to do surgery for this?? UCLA is across the country for me? LOL
IVE GOT THE CLICKING TOO! IF ANY ONE HAS TRIED ANYTHING WISH ACTUALLY WORKED PLZ LET ME KNOW! THANKS

I have been reading these posts for a few months. My clicking, thumping, and popping sound started December 2009. I have seen two doctors and no one has any answers. I did find out I have GERD, but it is under control with medication. My thyroid and my esophagus are fine.

I have been searching for some common denominators with those with the similar problem.  

Does anyone drink energy drinks? The reason I ask is because I used to drink them regularly and now I drink them occasionally and I noticed an intensity increase of the thumping in my throat during and after I drink one.

Just wondering…

Just wondering…
Wow..nice to hear others having this same clicking sound. I get the clicks while swallowing...and at times can sense a lump with dull minor pain.   However it seems I can make the lump and pain temporarily go away but doing one deep cough or throat clear.

I also can also use my fingers and push the side of my neck and create the clicking sounds that way as well?  Can everyone else do that?  would be interesting to know
Ojs2828. I don't drink energy drinks normally. But I did try Red Bull some time ago and didn't notice any negative effect.

Thalweg.  If I look upwards then gently push inward on my right side of the neck, level with the Adams apple,  I feel a breaking or crumble sensation, but I cannot reproduce it pushing from the left. This made me wonder if this is either normal, or some of the cartilage on the right side is either broken, or has been broken and it effectively is more than one piece compared to the equivalent identical part on the other side?  I wondered if the click on swallow was caused by whatever causes this sensation when pushing from the right. When pushing, I imagined two pieces of cartilage held in place, but one scrapes past the other?  Or would it be the case that if there was a break (not a full break but rather a fracture held in place), would this cause immense pain and it would be regarded as a fractured larynx?  If so, I don't have pain associated with this sensation, so it may be normal and for some reason, it doesn't happen on the left side.

Kym7a. I had physical trauma to the throat/oesophagus and the click swallow was coincident after that.  It's a shame that some ENT's brush off your condition as imagining it. Why would anyone imagine it - we all can't imagine similar, and sometimes identical symptoms.  Would anyone imagine the sensations before they manifested themselves?  What I mean here is; the symptoms happen, and only then do we become aware of them. Does anyone ever hear of a physiotherapist - helping a patient with a problem (e.g. a click) with their joints - ever say the patient is imagining it? No - they always find something to account for the symptoms, whether it be a more obvious break, tear, inflamed joint, ligament, tendon, or more subtle inflamations, irritated structures.

You are reading content posted in the Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life