Click when swallowing

I was wondering if someone could help me.  For a few weeks now I have this click in my throat when I swallow.  Not when I am drinking water or eating, but just during normal swallowing.  It doesn't click when my head is down or up, but it clicks when I am looking straight.  If I put my fingers just above adams apple I can feel a click.

Please help me to identify what it could be.

Thank you,
B
Last winter I hate a horrible throat infection. Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) infection. I was in the worst pain ever (well besides the obvious....childbirth lol) After a couple different courses of antibiotics I got better quite fast.  Ever since then I notice a feeling of "a lump" in my throat. Also, sometimes when I swallow I hear the click as others have mentioned. It doesn't hurt. More of a nuisance than anything. The last couple of weeks as my allergies started in, a lot of draining down my throat, etc it's made the feeling in my throat worse, and the clicking and lump in throat feeling will not go away. I went to urgent care last Saturday because I was having muscle spasms in my neck and back as well and I was beginning to get really worried. As far as the UC physician could tell my throat looked fine, a little red on one side. Most likely from the post nasal drip. So he gave me some muscle relaxors and gave me some tips and sent me on my merry way.

I go to my primary care physician on Tuesday. First, I would like to get my thyroid checked. I had a nodule last time she checked. But my blood test showed everything in the "normal range".  Really nervous about what it could be. I am a really anxious person to begin with. And I really can tell that the clicking and lump seems to feel much much worse when I am upset about something.

So we'll see! I'll have to update.
Hi- I have been experiencing the clicking noise in my throat over the last few months... Mine seems to only occur when I am lying in bed. At first, I thought that it was related to my sinus, but not I am starting to think differently. In addition, I have just started seeting an endocrynologist (sp?) because I have a multi-nodule goiter in my thyroid... Wonder if that is the cause since goiters can disrupt your swallowing abilities? Anyone else have a goiter and experiencing the same thing? I was reading above about the superior cornu of the thyroid, but I don't know what that is... Is it similar to a goiter? Any advice would be helpful... Thanks!
BTW, my thyroid results came back norml (T4, t3, and TSH)--ALL NORMAL... However, my doctor felt that my throat was enlarged, so she sent me for an ultrasound of the thyroid... That is where the goiter was discovered... So, I will follow-up once the endo tells me whether this is related... We may be on to something...
Thanks Silvercat.
I'm 16 years old and have been a consistent smoker for over 2 years now (i know it's bad for you please don't try to convince me). I have had this same problem off and on for several days or weeks at a time. It recently began to annoy me A LOT so i set out to try to find the cause of this mysterious clicking going on in my throat. Now i'm no doctor, but i have come to the conclusion that it is almost always caused by stress or sickness/allergies. I've also noticed that the gland above my atoms apple is almost always enlarged. It seems to me that the gland catches on the atoms apple when i swallow, hence the click. This may be why the ENT Drs have repeatedly said that nothing seems to be wrong. I have also noticed that drinking lots and lots of water, eating fruits, and taking vitamins seem to help. I hope this helps a little!
-Josiah
I have also become a clicker when i swallow.  I noticed that it is most prevalent when im sitting watching TV.  If i put my head down, it stops.  left, right, or up and its there.  I am a believer in the stress diagnosis as i have been under a lot of stress lately.  My throat always feels tight just like when you were a kid and started to cry.  When the tightness goes, so does the click.  I am also a smoker and got really scared when this started.  I feel no unusual lumps or anything, just the tightness and clicking.  I need to make an appt with a doctor anyway.  Im glad i found this board and others have the same problem and none so far are on chemo.  A lot of other web hits also associate this with GERD which i also have.  My GERD is under control and i dont think thats the issue, it seems to be just stress.

You are reading content posted in the Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life