Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Clicking noise from soft palate?

Ive been having a problem where my soft palate is making clicking noise whenever i open my mouth and exhale. This also occurs after I'm done saying a sentence. I tried looking in the mirror with my mouth open while exhaling and it seems as though the soft palate is either being slightly "stuck"  or having a prolonged muscle contraction and then relaxing which causes it to click . Does this seem like a neurological problem where the muscle contraction of the soft palate is prolonged? Or is it something else? I've tried googling this problem and I have not seen a single website that could identify what this is.. Please help. It's been going on for a few months and is very annoying especially when having a conversation with someone else...
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Do you have any problems with swallowing? Any lesions affecting the nerves supplying the palate can cause palatal paralysis. This can occur with problems in the brain or cranial nerves. Muscular diseases and Neuromuscular junction diseases (where the end of the nerve meets the muscle) can also cause palatal weakness. So, if your symptoms persist, please consult your primary care physician who will do an initial clinical assessment and then may refer you to a neurologist. Investigations like X rays, NCS, EMG and MRI will help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
COULD BE PALATAL MYOCLONUS. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjFx6LVh-3MAhWGej4KHQEQAS0QFghEMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ninds.nih.gov%2Fdisorders%2Fmyoclonus%2Fdetail_myoclonus.htm&usg=AFQjCNGRYqGpb5Av7aMYqPqn0GwGvSVzTg&bvm=bv.122676328,bs.2,d.dmo

I do not have problems swallowing, but I do have a history of muscle problems. Note that nothing debilitating has happened to me yet where I am unable to do some sort of activity. However, extensive testing has been done ranging from MRIs, EMGs and multiple blood tests, and they turned out negative. I do not want to go into details of it because obviously that would take so long. Do you really think it's a nerve problem that's causing this clicking noise? Also, don't trust me on saying how my palate has a "prolonged contraction" because I do not know how the muscle of of the soft palate works and that I could just be assuming that it's abnormally contracting but in fact it could be normal... However, what seems to be happening is that whenever I relax the soft palate, it makes a clicking noise on both "corners" of the soft palate where it meets the hard palate. Again, if you do think it's a neurological problem still, let me know ..
Hello I am having the same symptoms as you for a month now. Do you have any updates?
So even when i push my tongue against my soft palate, it would make this clicking noise..
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Have you been tested for Myasthenia gravis? Myasthenia gravis is characterized by weakness and rapid fatigue of any of the muscles under your voluntary control. This mostly affects the small muscles of the face. Here the muscle weakness usually improves with rest. It is diagnosed by the edrophonium (Tensilon) test. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I really just want to know what is causing this clicking noise on my soft palate. Not even sure if M.gravis is relevant to my problem .. regardless I certainly do not have this...
Hi, i too hv quite a similar problem like urz..  whenever i swallow be it food or saliva my soft palate makes crackling, popping and grinding noises,its goin on for 3 mnths ..m tired visiting doctors .. they are jst baffled , plz hlp me.
Hallo tqtraq,

i have EXACTLY the same problem as you. i have a strong tense of my soft palate since 15 years! i am 33, female and come from germany. i maybe can help you a little bit. also i 'd like to exchange about this disorder with other people. i think, it is a little help, to know, that you are not alone in this wourld with this problem. i hope you receive my message yet. dear greetings, Mary

p.s and yes, it is definitely a neurological problem. in my case, it began with strong mental stress in the past (family). please write me!
could i also please get your assistance as i have been experiencing clicking  sounds on the roof of my mouth for the past few days and i am unable to sleep !!
I’d love more insight as I’m experiencing the same.
yeah i feel spaced out and fatigued sometimes. for the last 8 years ive been dealing with this crackling and clicking sound coming from my head it only happens when i move my head or when i press certain areas of my face and head. people around me can sometimes hear it and it freaks them out. when i look in the mirror i can see my soft palate involuntarily raising when i press these areas of my face and head. over all it feels as though i have some sort of pressure build up. I went to a neurologist and he totally dismissed the clicking and told me he believes me to have a chronic post concussion migraine.i dont believe this to be true becuase no one else who i know has a head that makes these sort of noises and my head or life was not always like this Im 30 and have been dealing with this in some formor another since i was 22 i just want my head to be normal again. im thinking it might have something to do with either nerves or sinuses but i have noreal supporting evidence other than the way it feels. doctors dont believe that its sinus related because my face doesnt hurt but i do here clicking behind my nose when i press my face and i do get wierd sensations throught one side of my body (nerves)?
I have a similar thing (amongst far too many other symptoms to list but including muscle problems perhaps like yours) and  I am waiting for an assessment for hypermobility syndrome. Read up on it (here: http://www.dynakids.org/Documents/hypermobility.pdf) For me, it would explain everything. Perhaps things might ring true for you too. Good luck. L x
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjFx6LVh-3MAhWGej4KHQEQAS0QFghEMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ninds.nih.gov%2Fdisorders%2Fmyoclonus%2Fdetail_myoclonus.htm&usg=AFQjCNGRYqGpb5Av7aMYqPqn0GwGvSVzTg&bvm=bv.122676328,bs.2,d.dmo
IT COULD BE PALATAL MYOCLONUS. THAT IS WHAT THEY DECIDED I HAVE AFTER 5 YEARS OF THIS. I HAD TO SEE A NEUROLOGIST BECAUSE THEY CLAIM IT IS CAUSED FROM A BRAIN TUMOR. I DO NOT HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR, HOWEVER  THEY DID FIND THAT I HAVE A STAPH INFECTION IN MY NASAL PHARYNX. STILL SUFFERING.
Palatal myoclonus is a regular, rhythmic contraction of one or both sides of the rear of the roof of the mouth, called the soft palate. These contractions may be accompanied by myoclonus in other muscles, including those in the face, tongue, throat, and diaphragm. The contractions are very rapid, occurring as often as 150 times a minute, and may persist during sleep. The condition usually appears in adults and can last indefinitely. Some people with palatal myoclonus regard it as a minor problem, although some occasionally complain of a "clicking" sound in the ear, a noise made as the muscles in the soft palate contract.  The disorder can cause discomfort and severe pain in some individuals.  Palatal Myoclonus may develop in response to infection, head or spinal cord injury, stroke, brain tumors, kidney or liver failure, lipid storage disease, chemical or drug poisoning, or other disorders. Prolonged oxygen deprivation to the brain, called hypoxia, may result in posthypoxic myoclonus. Myoclonus can occur by itself, but most often it is one of several symptoms associated with a wide variety of nervous system disorders. For example, myoclonic jerking may develop in patients with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Myoclonic jerks commonly occur in persons with epilepsy, a disorder in which the electrical activity in the brain becomes disordered
Palatal myoclonus is a regular, rhythmic contraction of one or both sides of the rear of the roof of the mouth, called the soft palate. These contractions may be accompanied by myoclonus in other muscles, including those in the face, tongue, throat, and diaphragm. The contractions are very rapid, occurring as often as 150 times a minute, and may persist during sleep. The condition usually appears in adults and can last indefinitely. Some people with palatal myoclonus regard it as a minor problem, although some occasionally complain of a "clicking" sound in the ear, a noise made as the muscles in the soft palate contract.  The disorder can cause discomfort and severe pain in some individuals.

This is how you fix it 100%, i had the same thing for months and it took a toll on my life. Its to do with tight muscles behind your face and around your soft palette.
http://www.observedimpulse.com/2015/05/intraoral-myofacial-release-for.html?m=1
After about 1,5 years I found a solution to this problem. It works for me and hopefully for others as well. In essence you need to strengthen your soft palate. This can be done by performing anti snoring exercises. I do this by building up pressure in my mouth in a way that I feel it push against my palate. I can do this very easily now but it took some practice. You can start out by blowing air into straw and then blocking the straw at the exit. Blow as long an hard as you can (for me that’s about 20 seconds). By doing this your palate will be trained and become stronger and tighter. I can do this now without the straw so no-one notices I’m doing it.
I’ve been doing this for 4 days now (about 5 times a day) and the clicking is as good as gone.
Hopefully this will be helpful for others as well because I know how it affects your daily life how mentally exhausting it can be.
Just Google ‘strenghten soft palate’ and see which one works for you. This one did the trick for me.  Good luck!
I also have this problem and have had it for 1 year now. Here's my story.

Around Aug 2019 I felt like my left ear was blocked and after it didn't go away for a few months I went to the chemist and bought wax remover as I thought it was wax. Tried that and it didn't do anything. I think around here I had the click when I swallowed, talked and blew out.

I then saw a GP, she said she thought the clicking was my TMJ joint and that I should do TMJ dysfunction exercises and see if that helps so I went on you tube and did them for a while with no results so I booked in to GP again and they referred me to the ENT Doctor.

The ENT doctor did a nasoscopy on me and said besides a bit of a deviated septum on my left side (side of clicking sensation) everything looked normal. He said try nasonex for a few months and if that doesn't work get a CT scan.

The nasonex spray didn't work so I got a CT scan and it showed that my TMJ joints are fine, everything was basically fine and it showed that I have some deviation in my left septum and moderate bone spur. (I would have had this long before I got this click)

The ENT doctor said that because it all looks fine I should see a speech pathologist.

I didn't see a speech pathologist and at this point I still thought I had a problem with my left ear but one night I was concentrating on where the click was coming from and I noticed it was from my palate releasing and that's why it happens every time I blow out and talk, particularly when I finish the sentence.

I then tried to search google and youtube but could find nothing on this until I came across only a few forums including this one where people have the exact symptoms I have.

One guy said he fixed it by holding air in as if blowing into a straw but blocking the air from escaping. I tried that and it didn't work. The idea here is that the palate muscles are weak and need to be strengthen.

Another said he fixed it by massaging the soft palate with thumb. I tried that and actually stopped it from clicking for maybe half an hour but then it didn't work. when I do this I push the soft palate right up into the nasopharynx area and I felt that clicking/crunching/squelching sensation. The Idea here is that the muscles are all tight.

I went back to the ENT and told him what the issue is, a click every time my soft palate releases off the nasopharynx or openings of eustachian tubes. He did another nasoscopy while I was blowing out to produce a click and he said everything looked normal but my muscles that hold and release the soft palate are tighter/bigger than usual. He said try a nasal oil to lubricate the area, stay hydrated and if that doesn't work see a speech pathologist.

The oil didn't do anything. I really don't think I should see a speech pathologist as I talk fine and it fells like more of a eustachian or nasopharynx  tube opening problem as when I talk I can feel the click sensation go through that.

Its coming up to august 2020 which means I've had this for 1 year now, it isn't getting better and it isn't getting worst, I've tried all the above I don't have any other options really. I've read these threads and one guy said he tried many things and in the end he just accepted it and it went away after 3 years. others said they had it for longer than that.

I would really like to fix this so If any of yous who had this fixed this or at least minimized the click please respond on here so we can all see it.

Here's some more details about me to help others.

29, male, live in Perth Australia (dry climate) Work for the last 5 years as a lab technician at an asphalt plant, work alone so don't talk for most of the day (palate area not getting enough exercise?) I stand most of day looking down at bench (think like a chef) so forward head posture is probably gotten worse however when I stand up straight and I still have click and i've been doing neck posture exercises with now results) I'm exposed to aggregate dust and white spirit/mineral turpentine fumes as part of my job so not sure if that's done something.

I stay hydrated.

The clicking is least noticeable after I eat (more of an oily meal I would say)

The clicking is not there at all when I lay upside down on bed and hang my head off it so its facing down (I assume because soft palate is pushing up against opening) same as when im upright but tuck chin into chest.

I don't smoke.

Its not palatal myoclonus.

I've been sleeping on left side of face for most of the night for most of the last year (side of click)

Have been doing exercises and stretches and massaging my face, jaw, neck.

Do get allergic to cats and some dogs but don't have cats and not around dogs that make me allergic.

I think it could also be a mucus or bubble that forms and pops but it feels to consistent and mechanical to be that.

Have had a pressure test done on ears/eustachian tubes and they were fine. left ear was AD and right ear was A whatever that means. the left ear had more flow he said but was fine.

Still get the click when I hold nose and blow out.

Ok everyone I hope that helps and if you read this please let me know if you managed to fix yours and what you did. its been a long time since you all wrote here so I am curious to see how you went. please write here so we can all help others with this annoying and uncommon issue.

Hi! I'm the one guy who suggested blowing into a straw :-) It's been a while since I've posted this but I still do it and it still helps me. I also do a few other exercises that work for me.
My clicking has disappeared for the most part. Sometimes it comes back, but much quieter than before. I know the frustration and stress it causes so that's why I'm reaching out to you.
For me it is a combination of a eustachian tubes issue and a soft palate issue. At least, that's my theory.

Hang in there. From what I read in your post your symptoms are very similar to mine (the clicking also went away after I ate or drank something, I don't smoke, I stay hydrated, it's not palatal myoclonus, no clicking when laying down or head to chest) and I got rid of them, so you can too.
Hey thankyou for your reply.

Its good that yours went away and I hope mine does one day to.

I've been doing a lot of research on this and what I think it is is something called Palutous Eustachian Tube which basically means "open eustachian tube"
I don't have all those symptoms that sufferers of that have but it makes sense that the eustachian tube on my left side may be slightly open and when the soft palate bounces off it when I talk, swallow, blow out it causes the click and feeling through the tube.
The cause of this issue is unknown to me but it could be something to do with the muscles connecting to the tube called the  levator veli palatini and tensor veli palatini.

You can read about here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4992026/

So I assume your blow through stopped straw technique exercises these muscles aswell.

I will be trying some exercises like that and also this one here.

https://youtu.be/NhKyJqERcF8

Also for anyone else reading this that needs more info some other forums I found on this is.

(This is physically massaging the soft palate area)

Good luck everyone. If I get rid of the clicks I will let you know what I did.

I  am going through the exact same thing. Is your palate still clicking, mate?
Did you ever find a cure for this? I have the exact same things going on, clicking in ears at the end if sentances and when exhailing through my mouth, I also get a click or pop noise from maybe the soft palate area when I drink fluids or exhale, thankyou very much. Amanda
I am suffering from this too. Been trying to find a solution so far to no avail although  one of the doctors I went to in my local hospital said it's due to my 'soft palate being too long' and the only way to fix it is to get a surgery to trim the excess soft palate. Didn't make sense to me because I've gone through 33 years without this click and it just appeared suddenly and now a surgery is required to get rid of this click? Anyway, joining in this thread and hoping for a solution!
Hello, it's been a while but did you ever find a cure to this as I'm having the exact same things, has been hard for about 8 weeks now and its driving me insane. Thankyou!!
.
Hi!  There are answers here of things to look into. The appropriate evaluation is  Investigations like X rays, NCS, EMG and MRI will help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy.  Potential diagnosis is myasthenia gravis.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myasthenia-gravis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352036  A neurological exam is often what is done to determine if this is the cause. Medications are used to treat.  They do not cure but allow the symptoms to subside.  Another possibility is palatal myoclonus. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/palatal-myoclonus  This has a symptom of a clicking sound that you describe but is a rare situation. Treatment ideas https://ostrowon.usc.edu/2020/05/21/palatal-myoclonus/  There are several things they can try.  But first you need to be diagnosed.  Talk to your doctor and let us know what they say!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life