Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Cold or infection?

Woke up on Saturday with a sudden severe sore throat. Hoarse/muffled voice, pain when swallowing/yawning, slight earache, swollen glands, dry cough, pressure around bridge of nose/eyes, feeling hot and cold and fatigue. Is it just a cold or do I have an infection?
It seems that you have developed throat infection. It can be due to viral or bacterial causes.Take some over the counter medications like chlorpheniramine or cetrizine for symptomatic relief. Drink plenty of water and fluids. Steam inhalation may provide some relief. If the symptoms are severe or persistent a clinical examination may be necessary. It is suggested to discuss your concerns with your attending ENT specialist .I sincerely hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life