Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Ear / Throat Infection

I am 21 years old and have no significant history with illness. Almost 1 month ago, I developed a very sore throat, immediately accompanied by flu-like symptoms such as fatigue, fever and headache. I had no cough or blocked nose. Over the next few days the 'flu-like' symptoms eased a little, but my throat remained as sore - so much so that it prevented me from sleeping because of the pain, even with pain-killers. We had some spare amoxicillin in the house, so I began taking it. It was very effective, and by the time I had finished the course my throat felt normal again and I had no symptoms of illness.

Within about 5 days, however, the sore throat returned with a vengeance, and the next day I experienced severe ear pain, jaw ache and tooth ache. My ear felt blocked and I couldn't hear properly through it. I went to my GP and he diagnosed me with an ear infection and prescribed the antibiotic Klaricid. Again, this took care of my sore throat and slowly eased the pain in my ear (though bloody pus discharges were coming from it). 2 weeks on, I still can't hear properly and recently the pain has returned a little, but my sore throat seems to have gone for good.

The infection does appear to have cleared up, but I have noticed that throughout the illness I have had a sore elbow that seems to be getting slowly worse. Is this just a coincidence? Also, about 2 months prior to the onset of my infection I had episodes of night sweats, which were drenching on a couple of occasions. I have had a few milder episodes since, though none throughout the last month. Finally, I had an onset of depression and anxiety (for the first time in my life) about 3 months ago, which has persisted since. On a side note, I also began drinking alcohol for the very first time 3-4 months ago. I don't know whether that is significant.

These are the bare facts...apologies for the wordiness. If anyone thinks any of these things are related or has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life