Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Ear pain and neck tenderness

Over the last 6 months I have been having problems with fluid behind my ears.  Although it doesn't always turn into and ear infection my ear always aches.  Well tonight when I got out of the shower I noticed on the right side of my neck just behind my jaw bone it is tender to the touch.  I confess I am bad about looking stuff up on the internet...but what could this be...do you think that it could be life threatening...should I see my PCP?????
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is probable that the fluid in the ear is infected, this could cause a middle ear infection. This can spread causing a painful lump behind the ear. This could be a lymph node or sometimes the infection can spread to the mastoid bone. The condition needs proper evaluation. You will need to consult your primary care physician for further evaluation, who may then refer you to an ENT specialist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life