Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Ears leak at night

Does anyone have any idea why my daughter's ears would leak at night?  She is 35 years old and has been to a few ENT's who have said she has no problems.  She even had an MRI, which was normal.  It is clear  fluid that feels warm when it leaks.  It wakes her up almost nightly and then she cannot go back to sleep.  I am concerned since the lack of sleep has really affected her.  Her ears pop every once in awhile, but other than that, there are no other symptoms.  Any ideas?  Could it be a CSF leak?  Thank you!
Does she shower before she goes to bed? Even if not, It could be water getting in her ears...maybe suggest she use ear plugs when taking a shower.

An MRI should have been able to diagnose a CSF leak, so I don't know if I'd be too concerned about that.

Does the fluid have a smell at all? How much fluid?

Ashley
Thank you for your response, She has had MRIS and it is not from taking showers since she does not wash her hair every night.  Not too much fluid, no smell.  She has been to a few ENT specialists and they all say there is nothing wrong.  Thank you.
Someone in a group of Hashimoto's (Autoimmune disease) posted a question about this symptom and many of us happened to report noticing the same wet ears in the morning. We don't have a reason for it yet but since in the group all of us have same disease we thought it could be related to autoimmune issues.
Generally with a CSF leak there would definitely be other symptoms...especially headaches, etc.

There usually isn't any other fluid in your ears besides ear wax, which can be a variety of colors/textures. If her ENT isn't concerned, and she doesn't have any other symptoms...maybe she could try putting either cotton balls or ear plugs in her ears at night so she doesn't feel the fluid come out?

Best of luck!
Ashley
I am loosing trust in the ENT's lately,somebody has to have a answer for this!
I have the same issue.  It's very frustrating.  Every night if I wake up I have fluid in my ears and in the morning.  It's not a lot but sometimes it will make a q-tip quite damp.
I too awaken at night with clear fluid in my ears...which is sometimes painful. I have severe headaches/migraines, dizziness , blurry vision, and many more symptoms. My eye exam and an MRI were both unremarkable. So I have no idea....but I have read that CSF leaks can be very difficult to find.
Good luck to you.
sharon
First time ever I woke up during the night with this running fluid and a bit painful. My throat starts to hurt. In three Weeks time,I am traveling by aircraft. I am getting this scary feeling.
I have the same problem but my doctor says its not a problem....well it is for me..its very uncomfortable!!
Mine too. Started after some tech took a metal thing and gouged the wax out of my ears to prepare for a test. Nothing but dizziness, headaches, and crackling wet ears since.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life