Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Endlessly itchy wet ears

Since I was a child I have had ear problems but over the past few years I have had increasingly maddening ear problems.  I have used drops and anti biotics.  I sense relief then the symptoms return.  Most days I can hear but am constantly aware that my ears are itchy.  The challenge is to not itch.  If I itch, I usually get flaky stuff that I literally can lift off my inner ear.If I itch too much it becomes wet and begins draining a wet clear fluid.  Then at night, whatever side I lay on clogs shut.  In the morning there is thick crusty crud that again I try not to pick at.  Im obviously in continual circle of symptoms here.  Dr's seem to think I cause this problem by itching which causes infection which causes itchiness. HELP please?  I am open to homeopathic suggestions as mainstream medicine just seems to temporarily relieve the symptoms and not cure the cause.  Thanks in advance
Hmmmm, I am the only one with this??
I know someone hear (play on words) must have this problem.
Took new strong antibiotic pills along with a long dose of ear drops.  Dr. Said Chronic ear infections are harder to get rid of. No running in ears but still maddening external itching.  Crusty **** can be scraped off the itchy area. Its like dried onion skin.  C'mon I know I am not the only one with this ****.  Help!
No i have it dr say nothing is wrong i cant handle it anymore i clean my ears till they bleed thats how itchy they are
I think we both have the same problem..Ive got the itching and the wet clear fluid, but mine ends up sticky with a nasty odour..And my left ear has clogged shut..but i am in extreme pain now because i hav swelling around my left jaw..and yes it is really hard o stop the itching..
But unlike u i cant take tablets..lol so i hope the doctors can sort it out coz it hurts sooooo much
Av, its horrible. Mine has been going on for three years.  The only benefit is that I do not hear my husband's snoring. I lay down and they immediately clog. I did used to get really nasty smelling crud out of them every morning. I have had times when my jaw is so sore, or my ear, or below my ear. This has been such a pain in "the ear" for me. Richt now the itchiness is truly driving me nuts. I have even restorted to putting cortisone creme or just good moisturizer in my ear to try to stop this madness.
My room mate and I quit smoking. we starting getting the same symptoms and blamed on physical change due to quitting smoking. we are now both losing sleep.
I think it must be contageous. Why did two of us get it at the same time? Will see doctor today.
my left ear itches just inside the canal. when i relieve the itch with a cotton swab flaky moisture comes out. a couple months ago i went to a doctor about dizziness and painless sinus pressure and congestion (which i still have problems with, so that was pretty much a waste of time) he looked in my ears and noticed a blistery looking spot where the itch was coming from. he gave me antibiotic ear drops and they temporarily relieved the itch but now its back. i think that was his solution to get me out of his office though haha. you shouldve seen him squirm when i mentioned the dizziness. i think he knew that itch had nothing to do with it but he just wanted me out of there for a while
The itch can drive you insane. Last night I was going nuts with intense itchy feeling.  Sure enough, when you try to relieve the itch you cause it to get all stirred up again and runny. All I want for xmas is Two new ears, Two New Ears.......
I went to the doctor. He told me there was absolutely nothing wrong, no infection, no punctured ear drum, and no wax build up. He said I was probably getting water in my ears from the shower and it was draining at night. I have been showering for 50 yrs and never had this problem. I read on another forum (regarding same thing) to use vaseline on a q-tip. Doctor said this did not sound like a good idea. My room mate decided to try it and is cured. I started doing it myself this morning. No itching. The draining actually keeps me awake. Will see if I have crust in the morning. Will let u know.
vaseline works
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life