Eustachian tube dysfunction - what are the symptoms?

Is it dizziness? I usually almost always feel like i'm on a boat... it's not a dizziness, but rather balance type just like i'm on a boat... my head always feels like it is full type feels weird... ears plugged usually too... my head almost feels like it is full of mud or something not unable to concentrate or anything but just feels awkward...
Thank you. Best Regards, Megan.
It could be something as simple as vitamin deficiency or dehydration I do suffer from Otosclerosis and Mineres disease so I do know what everyone is talking about in this forum although I got really bad with anxiety and felt like I was floating worried I was going to pass out. Finally I decided to up my multi vitamins and drink more water and I have felt way better although I do get the other symtoms from the Mineres but I do believe I was lacking viatamins and dehydrated. Something so simple could be worth a try.
Mars1887
Thanks for the info on your post. I moved to SW Florida a year ago and in the last 3 months started having dizziness, foggy head and anxiety. I had never had this before.
My Dr said i have fluid in the ear also, which is not draining. Nothing has worked as of yet..... nasal steroids, pseudophedrine, guaifenesin, maneuvers, nasal washes.

It has gotten so bad over the 3 months that I can't drive, work, walk down the street. Basically I have no life. Even going to the store is hard as I worry I will pass out. Thank goodness for my wonderful, patient fiance and his support! I don't know how he puts up with me :)

My landlord thinks mold might be the cause but I don't have any respiratory problems and my sinuses are not stuffed. We did find some black mold but not much and it was cleaned up.
I will try the B12 and see if that helps. I will also try the sinus rinse again as I only did it a few times and was worried it would put more fluid in my ears. But right now I'll try anything. I've read a lot of people have success with this.
And there is always moving out of lovely FL, but that is such a big, scary (espensive!) decision, especially if it doesn't help. But if i knew for a fact it would, I'd start packing!
Not sure what to do....my 6 year old daughter had an ear infection a year ago..we cleared it up with antibiotics, went back to the doctor for a second check and he claimed it all cleared up. So I was ok. Then she started saying it felt like in one ear it "wasnt popped..like on a plane mommy" so now Im a little worried. I take her back to the doctor for a second look and he claims there is no sign of infection or fluid. She complains 2 days later saying it bothers her cause she feels like "its under water" so i call the docotr again and he says to bring her in again. I did. No sign of fluid or infection. He says to bring her to an ENT for further evaluation. I did. I wasnt happy with him was very quick and to the point but not great bed side manner. They did a hearing test and checked again for fluid. Hearing test perfect and no fluid or infection. My daughter complained again a few days later. So, I found someone else for a second opinion. I loved him and he said the same but recommended an allergy test to see if maybe allergies may be causing an alteration in her eustacian tubes. Im so tired of getting a run around and just want an answer. Allgery tests to be done after the new year but he didnt sound hopeful that this may be what she is complaining of. He said some children have a bent eustacian tube and it takes time to develop and thats what causes the discomfort. some children are more vocal than others. So....now what??? My daughter has to live with discomfort and feeling like shes under water till what??? or when???? please anyone who has an idea of whats going on through similiar situations....help. :( im a mom who is desperate. thanks.
  I feel the same way as some of you have described in your posts...with some ear pressure and popping, especially in one ear...and I’ve had the feeling that I’m “dreaming” (foggy feeling) for about 11 days now.

I have a Dr. appt. on Thursday...I’m hoping they’ll be able to let me know something as I’m still not 100% sure it’s an ear related issue.  

This is really starting to take a toll on my life.  If anyone has found a way to get rid of these symptoms I would immensely appreciate any insight.

Thank you very much!!

-Laura

Have you looked into getting your adrenal glands checked or your estrogen/progestrogen?  These can cause dizziness.  I hope you feel better soon.
Meniere Spectrum Disorder mimicking Eustachian Dysfunction – Life is just a Bowl of Krispies    Part 1
      I am currently checking out the literature to help define the common and distressing Meniere Spectrum Disorder (MSD), which is how I find myself on this site. The above 85 posts contain such a valuable and comprehensive delineation of MSD, that I can use them to describe its symptoms:
Earfullness.  This is the key symptom of MSD, posted as:  ear pressure; fullness; plugged; clogged; stuffiness; stoppage; exploding, in that order.   Although people struggle to describe this characteristic symptom, there is a remarkable agreement with the choice of words as recorded in Ireland two centuries ago by Sir William Wilde’s shorthand writer (Aural Surgery 1853):  pressure; bursting; stuffing; fullness; stopped up, in that order.  
Dizziness.  Dizzy spells; dizziness/spinning on bending head; spinning out of control; pressure-related dizziness on one side; slight dizziness but vertigo when lying down; faint; passing out.  Off balance; on/after trampoline/elevator/boat; tilt; tip; dip; lift; floor drops; lean on one side; unsteady; imbalance but no spinning; disorientation; rocking-type imbalance; floating; drunk.  Nausea; upset stomach; stomach queasiness.  Vertical heterophoria.
Tinnitus.  Ringing in ear.  Most people with tinnitus will have been claimed by otologists or be on tinnitus websites.  Not to be confused with subjective tinnitus are Eustachian noises:  pop; crackle; swish; crunch; snap; click.
Deafness.  Losing hearing; unable to hear certain sounds, phones ringing; muffled, reduced hearing.  Hard of hearing patients are particularly likely to end up in ENT departments.
Audiosensitivity.  Sometimes can’t tolerate even speaking or loud noises.  Loud talk makes ears feel as if exploding;  dizziness spurred on by loud noise.  There are many websites for persons with various forms of noise sensitivity, so on this site this is not reported as often as expected.
Psychological/psychiatric consequences.  Unable to concentrate; head full of mud; driving me insane; weird; extremely fatigued; thought I was crazy; anxiety attacks, nonstop anxiety; depressed; in a daze; brain fog; sleep impaired;  dying of something undiagnosed; arms and legs feel unattached; panic attacks; spaciness, feel outside of body; like dreaming; so scared.
     MSD provides a simple, unitary explanation for the myriad sympoms so graphically described in the postings, and resolves the problem with nomenclature.  If accepted, a vast amount of money will be saved on inconclusive medical investigations. The reason this syndrome has been missed is that there are many misleading myths and false assumptions, held even by ear specialists, so it is hardly surprising to see the confusion about Meniere’s disease so neatly expressed above. Myths and unhelpful beliefs include;
A blocked ear means a blocked Eustachian tube.  The main reasons for challenging this very common assumption are; most people complaining of blocked ear are found to have normal middle ear pressures, indicating normal tubal function; inflating the ear does not remove the fullness; sensation of blockage is especially pronounced if the tube is never shut (patulous).
Otologists have strict and precise criteria for diagnosis of Meniere’s Disease, ie a categorical condition, allowing no shades of disorder. This has the unfortunate result of encouraging diagnoses like imagination, psychosomatic, anxiety, and the time-honoured fallback, nothing wrong, for those who are quite ill but don’t have narrow Meniere’s Disease.
All tests are normal, therefore there is nothing wrong.  Nothing life-threatening perhaps, but it very short-sighted of doctors to think their understanding is so good that their tests are perfect.  The crucial feature of MSD is that it is a fluctuating condition, so that by the time the patient reaches the second tier of the referral system the condition may indeed have resolved.  
Meniere’s Disease is a long-term progressive disease.  Yes, since that follows from how it has been defined.  Meniere symptoms can fluctuate wildly and recover completely.  Hence one reason for the concept of MSD.
All are agreed that the physiological basis of Meniere’s is altered labyrinthine pressures.  Since the endolymphatic compartment is dilated (hydrops), it has been universally assumed that hydrops is initiated by high cochlear pressure.  I think the overwhelming evidence is that is triggered by low perilymph pressure.  Compelling reasons for this include: MSD/hydrops is definitely associated with low CSF pressure, and I cannot find any good evidence that it can be caused by intracranial hypertension;  it is associated with perilymph fistulas; it occurs in hangovers.  Meniere’s disease is often said to be due to water overload,  so it is particularly noteworthy that two persons above related it to dehydration, and that drinking lots of water helped.
The causes of MSD are anything that reduces perilymph pressure (or increases it but less than endolymph pressure), including: dehydration; excess fluid loss during head infections; weight loss; hyperventilation; intracranial hypotension; low blood pressure; orthostatic hypotension;  fluid leak from cochlea into middle ear; spinal fluid fistula.  
Having extracted people with MSD (see Part 1 above), it is now possible to give a clearer classification of E tube function. There are four possible states:
Lightly shut.  This is the normal condition.  The tube opens naturally and imperceptibly during natural functions like swallowing, yawning, talking, chewing, etc.  Middle ear pressure is found to be zero, ie the same both sides of the eardrum.
Completely shut.  This happens during colds or infections, when the tubal lining swells up and air does not pass along the tube or cannot be forced through it, hence people should not fly if they have colds. Air then gets absorbed from the middle ear, and low middle ear pressure is found.  Fluid can then collect in the middle ear, which might become infected.
Completely open.  Patulous E tubes cause intense distress, from hearing one’s own voice or breathing, audiosensitivity, and particularly from earfullness.
Half open. Here the tubes are often closed, but can easily spring open with a pop if moist or a crack if sticky or dried out. This I think applies to many on this site, as exemplified by these comments or observations: when swallowing, ears pop, crunch or click; echoes when I talk; boomy echo of own voice; echo in left ear; popping in ears when I lie down;  if I lie on my left side, my left ear is clear, and if I lie on my right the opposite happens. These last two observations are particularly pertinent as they indicate the tubes must be patent when standing up, and that relief is obtained from undue patency when lying down, allowing them to eventually close off.  Many persons reported symptoms related to changes in barometric pressure, which shouldn’t affect Tubal States 2 & 3. In State 1, external pressure changes should be easily compensated for, but this will be hard in this State 4.  
As I have found on other occasions, reviewing the literature leads to unexpected findings.  For example, I found that drugs do not cause musical hallucinations without there also being symptoms of MSD. Also, ears with MSD are very susceptible to a very wide range of drugs as part of their hypersensitive state (two people above reported being oversensitive to alcohol).  Here, I was intrigued by the complaints of snap, crackle and pop, so checked on Wikipedia how this phrase had been associated with cereals and elves.  In fact there had been a fourth elf, Pow, corresponding to an explosive sound.   On checking with Wilde, a folklore expert, he reports that ear disease in rural Ireland often occurred after people fell asleep in the open air.  This was known as being “taken by the fairies”. Wilde also noted that the tube can open with a report like a pistol shot. So it might not be coincidental that the noise of eating Krispies might be likened to noises of tubal dysfunction, and associated with elfish folk stories.  

I have had Eustachain tube dysfunction for about 5 years and it's a pain you feel dizzy alot, and your ears stop up with any change of pressure, mine change with a speed bump. You also feel like you are either rocking or spinning on my bad days. But, i have my bad days then good days, so yes those are the symptoms and it sounds like ETD (a stupid abriviation i came up with). I hope its something else for you...it's no fun.
For about, 2 months or so, I have been lighted headed, dizzy, have pressure in my head, and a ringing that is sooo annoying! On top of that my heart has been beating out of my chest and sometimes way faster than usual. I'm super tired all the time no matter how much sleep I get, I can sleep aaalll day and wake up for an hour and sleep another 12 hours. thats nuts.  I actually went to the hopsital for the chest pain an heart beat, which was 130! Its never been that high, it was crazy. But anyways they did all kinds of tests, and found nothing.  Went to my ENT dr a couple days after that, and he also found nothing. Kinda scary, the throat thing is what scares me the most. This is super wierd, I told me dr about it and he thought i was crazy. But I honestly get relief on my throat when I..uuhh and i dont know how i figured this out lol, but when I like pull my chest down, like away from my throat. Just like lay my hand flat and full down. Very very wierd, but it makes my throat stop feeling wierd. Who knows!!!
Hi hope you could still read it here. How are you now after for how many years since last time yu posted here. I too have the same symptoms its over two months i feel dizzy everyday like im in a boat. If i yawning a lot it feel better for a couple of hours i mean my dizzy gone. But i go back again. If i pop my ear it also feek better. Is it a symptoms of eustachian tube dysfunction?
Please someone...I am going insane.  If anyone has had  the ‘dreaming’ feeling, if you’ve found a way to get rid of it, a frustrated girl would love to know how!!  :/  

THANKS!
I have had many of the symptoms you all complain of. I started breathing in menthol and eucalyptus from a steamer, that really helped. What I'm doing now that has REALLY helped me is using a sinus wash bottle. You squeeze the bottle and it pumps water up one nostril and out the other. The technique I'm using now is to block the free nostril and VERY GENTLY pump the bottle. I can feel the saline solution going right into my ears, it feels very weird and gave me one huge headache the first time I did it, now i can hear all sorts of squelching noises when I swallow but I feel a load better than before. I think I must have had some long term infection there which is now being shifted. Hope this helps.
58 year old male, experienced all these blocked ear problems for twenty years. A heavy smoker for 30 years finally stopped about five years ago since when condition worsened. My sleep is badly affected more so by a muscular problem whereby have lost the ability to relax and thereby change or move the position of my body during sleep resulting in sleep disruption and numbness. Found two types of breathing exercise help, The yoga pranayam blocked ear exercises and Tai Chi Qiqong breathing during performing the form. Both are easy and a quick google will show you how. Relief is only temporary but it allows you to achieve this relief when you need it by performing these breathing excercises. They do become exremely boring although the Tai chi also helps with general health and can be easily done in your front room with no damage to your home. Have given up on any cure but good luck to all.
Am same age (52) and getting same symptoms..Also put down to menopause. Have you had any improvement with Chiropractor.  Am just about to start regular sessions ie. one full treatment a week and two to release the C1. Love to hear how you are going.
The feeling like you are on a boat all the time is called Mal de Debarquement syndrome.  Here is a support website for it:  www.mddsfoundation.org.  I had it last year for about 2 months, then it cleared. It is most often precipitated by travel, but not always.  I was going on another trip and terrified it would get worse.  I asked my doctor for Ativan, an anti-anxiety med, because some research seemed to indicate that might help.  After that trip, the feeling cleared up.  There is a researcher at UCLA who is doing a study on MDDS.  It's real, and it's different from other kinds of dizziness.  It most often hits women in their 40s, which tells me its probably related to hormones.  I am now getting occasional vertigo, I think related to the onset of menopause.  I'll be 50 this year.
I dont know if you will receive, but I know exactly How you felt or feel... I have had the condition enumerable tests, Vestibular therapy (which helped to taper the extreme dizziness) and meds, still no success... It has been a few years since you wrote this have you found success in anything. I really hope you get this, I would like to know your development since then.... Also I know your anger and frustration and sadness ~ I to feel like I need anxiety meds, maybe it can take me out of this funky reality

Thanks for any help you can give
Im only 28 and yet Ive been having all these symtems in which at first I thought they were sinus problems. My ears feel full, Im tired all the time, nauseated, headaches, and my left side of my nose and cheek feel full as well. Ive had it for over a year. Ive been prescribed several anibiotics, and my dr even thought it could be depression so I took anti depressants. Nothing has helped. Ive looked up several things such as Mono, Manieres Disease and MSD. Mono there is fever and neck pain so I dont see it being that. MSD doesnt say anything about full ears. And Manieres descibes hearing loss in the ears and I have a fullness feeling in my ears pluss its really worst in my left. Ive been so stressed out over the past year cause my body feels tired a majority of the time and the doctors cant seem to figure out what it is. Im not a week person but this had me down to my worst. I wish I had an answer to my problem. Im not depressed either cause I know what thats like and I really like my life and where its at right now, I just down like how run down I feel. It affects me at home, school and work.
I wonder if any of you have thought of a connection to food? Gluten can cause some of these symptoms. Celiac disease is an extreme form, but you can be allergic to gluten without being celiac. Also food colorings, MSG, soy, dairy- all things that cause body symptoms. maybe the  drmercola website would have some good info-
Please get your thyroid checked. Ask for a full thyroid panel. Not just a TSH. That might be what's going on. Sounds so familiar to what I went through. Once I found out it was my thyroid and treated it the symptoms you're experiencing dissapated. Be advised tho, that you might need to shop around for a doc who will listen to how you feel. Good luck.
Chiropractic has helped me immensely.