Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Excessive sinus drainage

I noticed a lot of comments concerning excessive sinus drainage, but no one mentioned taste.  I have it, but have a horrible putrid-sweet-buttermilk like taste associated with it.  Does anyone have such?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The sinus discharge can vary in color, consistency and quantity. It can be clear and copious or thick and scanty. It can be Green, yellow, or bloody-colored discharge. This can cause a Foul-smelling or tasting postnasal drip based on the severity of infection. Stasis and infection of the sinus cavities, and the resultant drainage into the nose and throat causes the bad smell and taste.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for replying.  I am wondering if all this mucus can be affecting my teeth - since January, have had two 3-teeth bridges just slide right off teeth; had to have one back top tooth pulled; one root-canal under; and now from dental cleaning yesterday, two more cavities and one being under the tooth holding the front bridge that already had an old root canal.  Have you heard of sinus infections affecting/causing teeth to decay?  All these teeth problems started in January.  Strange.  Oral surgeons and periodontists haven't a clue and just perform what their specialty is.  Who do you check with about sinus infection under teeth?  All these teeth were on top, where the sinuses join the top teeth/gums.  ENT says dental, dental says ENT?  Thank you again for replying.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sinus infections can cause pain or pressure on the teeth. One of the possible side effect from a sinus infection is that the person may start breathing through the mouth. Mouth breathing promotes a dry mouth, and a dry mouth can increase the risk of dental health problems. Saliva in the mouth helps digest food and wash away the bacteria that can cause tooth decay and gingivitis.

The best way to get to the bottom of your sinus issues is to see an ENT.  A good examination inside the nose with a camera might give the ENT more information as well as a CT scan of the sinuses.  If it is a chronic sinus infection, 4-6 weeks of antibiotics are pretty standard in addition to nasal steroid sprays, oral steroids, and salt water irrigations of the sinuses.  If this fails to solve the problem, sinus surgery is usually recommended.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi:  I have posted in the past regarding sinus problems.  They can be complicated.  My ears constantly bother me, and then it feels like it goes down into the ear canal.  I have a constant nasal drip that feels like I have a growth in the throat, but it comes and goes.  I do get a funny taste in my mouth also, but not as bad as you describe.  Then include the runny nose, and it just makes things worse.
I also have GERD which I am on medication for, so I never know whats worse, as both can bother the throat.
I was told to drink lots of fluids, use a saline solution or netti pot to constantly flush the sinuses.  My biggest problem is this feeling of a throat full of mucus when I swallow.  Feels like a constant lump there
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life