Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Fever, Sore Throat, Swollen Lip After Being in Sun

Was wondering if anyone hear of something similar to what I am experiencing. Below is the recent history. Throughout the period below I had chapped lips and I pulled 2 pieces of loose skin from my lower lip on Sunday, before I ever felt ill, which caused a 2 small cracks/sores. These were located roughly where my upper and lower lip touch. They did become slightly raised with white, loose skin/scab around the outside but no blisters, and there was a slight red "ring" around the outside of the white. The scabs/sores did not really heal over the next days.Tuesday - Had a fever and started to feel ill with a sore throat and just generally tired with achey knees. No congestion, runny nose, or coughing.Wednesday - Felt pretty terrible, achey all over, tired, fever, sore throat, swollen tonsils, etc. Went to doctor and rapid strep test came back negative. The doctor believed it to be viral but still prescribed Zythromax, which I began taking daily.Thursday - Felt tremendously better, but stayed home and rested. Left side of neck was a little tender/sore.Friday- Felt even better and no real changes to the lip sores from mentioned above. I did notice a small white bump on one of my tonsils. Saturday - I felt like I was pretty much back to normal. I did peel away some loose, white skin around the lip sores and was in the sun most of the day. I did notice some fluid and blood seep from underneath the red portion where there was a crack. The 2 sores on my lip were dark red in color but no blisters around them.Sunday - Last day on took Zythromax. Woke up in the morning with cold chills and a fever and my lower lip was very swollen and sore. The sores now had grown and joined together into a larger scab and there were weeping blisters around the perimeter. I have never had a cold sore before, but also understand these are very common. I went back to the doctor and asked if the lip was an effect of a possible HSV-1 infection and he said he didn't think so that is was viral (HSV-1 is viral, so that didn't really shed much light?) and it was stomatitis. The doctor prescribed valacyclovir HCL, which is usually prescribed for cold sores. So again I don't feel like he was very clear with what was happening. Monday - Lip was still very swollen and weeping clear/yellowish fluid and some blood around the perimeter from small blisters. Have a few more white or yellow lumps on my tonsils and now small spots on the back of my throat. I had taken all 4 pills of the valacyclovir (2 doses of 2 pills 12 hrs apart) the day before. The roof of my mouth had also become sore and hurt when eating and was sensitive to anything I would eat that was mildly "spicy" (even onion). Went to an ENT to get checked. ENT said it was viral and prescribed the same prescription vala.... but for a duration of 4 days along with prednisone to help with the swelling. The ENT doc. didn't exactly give a direct answer on the lip sores/ulcers. The swelling has gone down since. The roof of my mouth remained sore/sensitive for 2 days. There was canker sores on my lower gum and upper palate, which healed in 2 days. The yellow/crusted portions where the blisters were are peeling away now.  HSV-1 and HSV-2 blood test came back negative but i understand if this was a primary infection that I would like not have enough antibodies to have a positive result? I know... long winded, but I have never experienced anything like this before. It seemed like an odd sequence of events/symptoms. I have never had a cold sore before, and this didn't present with small blisters first. Has anyone ever heard of anything similar? Is it possible this was a reaction to the azithromycin and being in the sun most of the day on Saturday? Any insight or information would be great.
Hi, your symptoms could be due to herpes infection, which is caused by Herpes simplex type I &II . The virus can lie dormant and can get reactivated at intervals producing symptoms. Hence there is no permanent cure. But antiviral medications like acyclovir, valacyclovir and famciclovir are known to shorten outbreaks and improve symptoms. It depends on one’s immunity also. If it is good the person may have less number of reactivations. If the immunity is relative less than he is likely to have more symptoms. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life