Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Hard time swallowing

I'm laying in bed right now, and for the past two days my throat has been sore. Before I went to bed I looked in the mirror and my tonsils were so big, I couldn't see the back of my throat, and now I'm having trouble swallowing.

If it helps, a few years ago I had monno. My doctors thought it was strep throat and they gave me some meds that made me get red bumps all over. They then swabbed my throat and realized it was monno, and gave me the right meds. I'm going to the emergency room tommorow I think. Any help is appreciated.
Hi there,
Hope you are doing well.
A complete physical examination and throat examination is necessary for correct diagnosis and management of your condition. Bacterial and viral infections are common causes of tonsil enlargement. Mono is usually linked to the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), but can also be caused by other organisms such as cytomegalovirus (CMV).Treatment for tonsillitis will depend on the cause. To determine the cause, your doctor may perform a rapid strep test or throat swab culture. Monospot test will be positive for mono infection. Treatment will consist of antibiotics to cure the infection in case of bacterial infection. Antibiotics may be given as a single shot or taken 10 days by mouth. If the tonsillitis is caused by a virus, antibiotics won't work and your body will fight off the infection on its own. You may try taking enough rest, drink warm fluids to ease throat pain, use a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in your room.
Other measures like gargles with warm saline water may be helpful. Take over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen if you have throat pain. Avoid fried oily foods.
This is merely an advice and not a substitute for clinical examination. It is best to clarify your concerns with your ENT specialist and discuss your queries. I hope it helped. Keep me posted on how you are doing.
Best Regards!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life