Ear, Nose & Throat Community

I have no sense of smell

I've had Nasal Polyps for as long as I can remember, 2 Polypectomys to date and have recently completely lost my sense of smell.

My ENT consultant suggests that I can take steroids to bring it back but I cannot stand steroids and refuse to use them again.

Any techniques/suggestions that could help?

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks.
I've been in the position where I've lost my sense of smell and the steroids didn't work either.  That''s when I developed the saline Sinus Flush.  It's much different than a regular saline rinse, which I found useless.  The hypertonic saline in the Flush will shrink the swollen tissues and mucus membranes in your sinuses, and clear the way into your olfactories, and may cause a burning sensation in the area, but will not cause damage.  I won't guarantee that it will work for you, but if it does, it works fabulously.  It's a bit risky, because you have to bend over slowly in a shower, but i've had zero long-term sinus problems since, in fact, I can smell better than i did 20 years ago.  The directions can be found by putting your cursor on the blue "friggy" and going to the journal entry.  They are complicated to figure out, but actually rather easy to do.  If you are very lucky, the Flush will also flush out whatever is causing the polyps, but that's only a hypothesis.

Good luck
Oh right, okay.

Thanks I might try that one. :)
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life