Ear, Nose & Throat Community

It looks like strep but I have no sore throat

I randomly looked at the back of my mouth and throat with a flash light and discovered that my right tonsil is slightly swollen, right where my mouth ends and the tonsils begin is really red, the left side of my throat right behind my uvula is swollen so it is hanging down with a red streak through it and there is a red lump of skin hanging off of it looking like a drop of liquid, my tonsils are white-ish and the back of my throat is covered in white patches with really red streaks (I'm assuming blood vessels) over them and is bumpy... but my throat is not sore. Is it strep or something else?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be due to a throat infection. But it is difficult to say it is strep throat, unless tests have been done. White patches are common in many throat  infections. The throat infection which you have may have contributed to it. In response to the infection the body produces soft white debris which collects in the tiny indentations in the tonsils called crypts. Repeated salt water gargles will help. Mix one teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and gargle. If the patches increase in size or become painful then consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life