Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Jaw Lump?

First, some context....

In May/June of this past year, I developed a lump on my jaw bone. Thinking that it was a problem with a tooth (maybe an impacted wisdom tooth?) I went to the dentist. At this point the lump was maybe not quite the size of a pea. I went to the dentist and they had no same-day appointments, and that if I was worried about the lump that I should go to the ER. So at the ER they gave me 2 EKGs and a CT scan, told me it was my lymph node, prescribed me antiobiotics and the official diagnosis was "strep throat"... even though I didn't have a sore throat or a fever and they never did a throat culture. One thing they DID tell me, was "it's definitely NOT your tooth, and you shouldn't worry about it... just leave it alone and it will go away." It got worse and I saw a doctor, who said it was a lymph node again, and that probably from a dental infection. They did some bloodwork and told me to see the dentist. So then I went to the dentist and they took Xrays and found "something" and then told me they weren't "comfortable" treating me. (Like a shadow on the bottom of the xray?) They said that there was infection there, but that because the mass or whatever it is was not painful, fixed and firm (like bone) they wanted a surgeon to look at it.  And they referred me to an oral surgeon. Then I got the whole lecture about how irresponsible I was about not dealing with this and I could die etc etc etc.

When I asked what it could be they wouldn't tell me anything.... just that I needed to see an oral surgeon. I am confused as to why they did that... if my tooth is infected, I don't understand why they didn't prescribe me antibiotics and if it's possibly serious, why people keep passing me around like they do.

What could it be and what should I do?

BTW.... I am a healthy, 26 y/o female, non-smoker if that matters.
First off, I am sorry to hear how you have been treated in the past.  Giving you a "throw away" diagnosis such as strep throat was probably a waste of your time and money.  It is unfortunate that you weren't sent in the right direction right away.  This problem should be handled by either an Oral Surgeon or an Otolaryngologist (ENT).  But from what you said, it is not at all clear whether this involves a tooth or is even IN your jaw (obviously, you don't even know!).  If it is entirely within the jaw or involves a tooth, then the oral surgeon is the right choice.  If not, ENT is where you need to be (and this is a big generalization, there is a lot of overlap there).  There are a variety of benign and malignant things to be considered.  Rather than speculating on what it could be (and this would be a LOT of speculation at this point), make an appointment with a board-certified surgeon and get the answers you need.
Thanks, I do have an appointment with an oral surgeon coming up but am anxious about what to expect.

This is what it looks like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43847710@N02/4035298575/
Did you find out
Again, you are making the right decision with your current plan.  There are numerous cysts and benign growths of the mandible (jaw) and even some not-so benign ones.  I appreciate that you are anxious about it, but as long as you are getting yourself in there, there is little point in worrying about worst-case scenarios right now.  You are doing the best you can.
So what was it? I have the same thing...
I have a lump under the middle of my jaw bone and the doc and the ER sed it's nothing that's McKeesport hospital for you and it hurts like hell
Update PLZ..Same thing
Im being treated the same as finally saw an ENT still no answers yet see the ENT again  this week and get MRI. last week he said its not my ear or sinuses. Did you find out anything yet
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life