Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Loss of voice! Pls answer.

Dear all,

My father, aged 65, is suffering from a loss of voice and hoarseness on and off, since 5 years. He takes snuff regularly but has no other habits like smoking or drinking alcohol. He has had his tonsils removed in childhood. And we all have hereditary tonsillitis, sore throat, cold and cough. He has no difficulty swallowing but has to strain a lot to talk and raise his voice.

He is not at all ready to go to an ENT specialist fearing operation and permanent loss of voice. It seems somebody has frightened him off and we are not able to convince him at all. He did visit a veteran Surgeon recently and was given some allergy relief medicines. The doctor has not raised any concern.

I do not know anything about medicine but I don't think they are warts. There are chances that they are polyps. But he won't go to a doc.

Please let me know what you think it could be. I hope it is not anything serious as we have seen a couple of physicians and herbologists. And are there any home remedies?

Thanks.

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life