Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Lower throat irritation for months.

I have had irritation in my lower throat for about two months. I dont really cough and there is very little mucus. Sometimes I dont even feel it unless I think about it. It mostly feels like im getting over a cough or one is coming on. It is just in the lower part of my throat. I have had some stuffy noses and sneezing. Could it be allergies? I have also had some sore glands on and off in my neck.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of dry cough, runny nose and throat irritation could most probably be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life