Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Lump behind ear, under chin, armpit ache

A few weeks ago I noticed that I had a small hard lump under my chin, in the soft area in the middle of the underside of my jaw. It is a lump I had noticed on previous occasions, in previous years, but which is not always noticeable. I now believe that it may be a lymph node (at present it is unnoticeable, having shrank).

Around a week later I noticed a small hard lump behind my ear - just under a centimetre in diameter and literally in the crease between my ear lobe and my neck. I don't know if that lump was there when the jaw lump was, because I didn't check. However, both lumps worried me (i was thinking cancer), to the point that I fiddled with them and eventually they became really sore and painful to touch...I then, around a week later, got an aching sensation in my left armpit, running down the side of my breast. I also had the sensation in my right armpit, but not so much.
Occasionally I would feel a "pang" in either armpit, this went on for about 3 days. Despite my best efforts to find one (having read up on lymph nodes) I could feel no lumps whatsoever in my armpits.
Now, a week later, the armpit pain is gone, and both the lumps behind my ear and under my jaw are virtually indecipherable...

What I was wondering is a) what thismay be symptomatic of,
and b) is it possible that the armpit ache might have been caused by my excessive fiddling with the lumps, which I believe to be lymph nodes, behind my ear/under my jaw? as in some kind of reaction in my lymphatic system to the interference?
c) when armpit nodes are swollen, is it always possible to feel a lump, or could it just manifest as an ache? I want to know whether all of this is lymph node related or if the armpit thing is totally separate, as I understand that generalised lymph node pain/swelling is a cause for concern

thanks for your help

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life