Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Lump behind left ear

My mum discovered a small lump behind her left ear a month ago. It is not painful and unmoveable. She is extremely worried that this is the beginning stage of cancer. We were informed by the government clinic to visit a specialist(Ear,Nose & Throat) for further check up. She is 66 years old and in good health and this issue had been bothering her. Please do advise me what I(being the only daughter) can do to ease her worry. Thank you.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be enlarged lymph node/nodes. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. The swelling could also be due to mastoiditis, which is infection of the bone behind the ear. This happens when there is a middle ear infection, which spreads to involve the mastoid bone. If the swelling does not resolve with antibiotics, a biopsy may be indicated. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life